Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "Iplaysgames96" started this thread

Date of registration
: Dec 21st 2016

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 2

Monday, June 12th 2017, 9:59pm

Can someone explain the netcode fiasco drama episode to me?

So the last time I played bf1 was before the release of TSNP. I just recently started playing again (college does that) and Ive been reading a bit about how netcode changed and the butthurt that followed. I have noticed alot more deaths behind cover. Even with a 100Ping (which is the best I can do on an east US server considering there are next to ZERO pacific coast servers) What happened?
Official heretic of the Symthic forums

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(9,607)

Date of registration
: Apr 3rd 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Tuesday, June 13th 2017, 12:04am

People complain constantly about high ping advantage (questionable assertion).

DICE decided to implement a system that switches players between client/server-side hybrid or pure server-side hit detection based on whether your ping is over a region's threshold.

Server-side hit detection requires you to lead slightly more based on your latency to the server.

The change has been celebrated primarily by those who have good Internet connections. Not everyone has access to good connections of course.

Asia and the Middle East are the regions where there has been outcry over this and state they do not have the luxury of good connections to servers. This has led to them accusing DICE of favoring the US and EU regions over the global audience (even quoting "false song of globalism" in this accusation).

The Low Ping Party has no issue because they got the "fix" they wanted for a perceived problem (Out Of Region play to use High Ping Advantage). Their solution to Asia and ME's problems? Play on servers in their region. If said servers do not exist or are of questionable quality, DICE should invest in more servers. Just as long as people play with low ping because apparently low ping is more important than international communities being able to play together.

Then there are some other bugs regarding hit detection too.
Data Browser

Passive Spotting is the future!

With this, I'll rid MGO3 of infestation. Sans bad gameplay MGO3 will be torn asunder. And then it shall be free. People will suffer, of course - a phantom pain.

Reddit and Konami will rewrite the records... And I will be demonized in human memory. But... The thirst for good gameplay that I have planted will infest MGO3. No one can stop it now. The Rebalance Mod will unleash that thirst unto the future.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

Date of registration
: Oct 8th 2016

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 2

Tuesday, June 13th 2017, 3:46am

That seems like a significant and unique change to the netcode. I am surprised that they released it without more testing.

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(9,607)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Tuesday, June 13th 2017, 4:50am

That seems like a significant and unique change to the netcode. I am surprised that they released it without more testing.

Here's the thing about the CTE: it's a ghost town.

EU primetime does nearly all of the testing AFAIK and nothing cataclysmic showed up when it was being tested.

If there had actually been more people active across more time zones, then they might have seen the problems that made it to live.
Data Browser

With this, I'll rid MGO3 of infestation. Sans bad gameplay MGO3 will be torn asunder. And then it shall be free. People will suffer, of course - a phantom pain.

Reddit and Konami will rewrite the records... And I will be demonized in human memory. But... The thirst for good gameplay that I have planted will infest MGO3. No one can stop it now. The Rebalance Mod will unleash that thirst unto the future.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

Date of registration
: Dec 2nd 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Tuesday, June 13th 2017, 5:36am

Is CTE still for Premium owners only? Probably has a lot to do with it being dead if that's the case, on top of downloading another 40+ gigs

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(9,607)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Tuesday, June 13th 2017, 5:49am

Some of it is Premium.

Some dislike how their Progression in CTE doesn't matter in Live.

Others still dislike how all the weapons are unlocked and therefore no reason to Progress in CTE.

Basically, the people who are on CTE don't really care about what it's for.
Data Browser

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

Date of registration
: Mar 27th 2012

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Tuesday, June 13th 2017, 2:50pm

People complain constantly about high ping advantage (questionable assertion).

DICE decided to implement a system that switches players between client/server-side hybrid or pure server-side hit detection based on whether your ping is over a region's threshold.

Server-side hit detection requires you to lead slightly more based on your latency to the server.

The change has been celebrated primarily by those who have good Internet connections. Not everyone has access to good connections of course.

Asia and the Middle East are the regions where there has been outcry over this and state they do not have the luxury of good connections to servers. This has led to them accusing DICE of favoring the US and EU regions over the global audience (even quoting "false song of globalism" in this accusation).

The Low Ping Party has no issue because they got the "fix" they wanted for a perceived problem (Out Of Region play to use High Ping Advantage). Their solution to Asia and ME's problems? Play on servers in their region. If said servers do not exist or are of questionable quality, DICE should invest in more servers. Just as long as people play with low ping because apparently low ping is more important than international communities being able to play together.

Then there are some other bugs regarding hit detection too.

That sums it up very well. Just wanted to add that outside of the US and EU the threshold is 200 ms for the sever side check to kick in. Maybe im spoiled with my high speed US internet but do you see servers full of 200+ pingers in Asia? As a member of the low ping party i am happy with the change, although the difference isnt hugely noticable, the amount of times i have been shot in cover has dropped. But i do sympathize with people that cant find a server < 200. I would not play nearly as much if i had to use the server side check.

VincentNZ

Holy War? No Thanks.

(2,088)

Date of registration
: Jul 25th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Tuesday, June 13th 2017, 3:36pm

I rarely play over a ping of 40, but I do not see the personal gain of punishing players that can not connect to a server that is basically standing in their yard. Also the statement that caused the change, that high pingers have any advantage is really debatable. If you die behind cover on your screen you were still seen on the person's screen long enough to kill you, which is the deciding factor. A guy with a ping of 10 would have killed you just as well. At the same time you see people with a higher ping earlier, if I understand it correctly, which is a direct advantage for you already.

Add to that, that personal perception can be largely misleading and that everybody has a lagspike now and then and you have a "problem" that is immensly blown out of proportion.

Then DICE made sure everybody only plays on Official DICE servers and communities are pretty much dead. So naturally some areas are rather left alone and are forced to play a bit out of region, that causes the problem in the first place. You have a major problem loaded unto by all by yourself and supposedly fix it by pissing off the players. It is as much absurd as a double standard.

Additionally it seems that they also included an actual bug concerning hit registration, which just adds fire to the flame.

Date of registration
: Jan 12th 2014

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 13

Wednesday, June 14th 2017, 12:27am

I would simply not play any MP shooter where I pinged greater than 99. What's the point? Maybe you could use a tank semi effectively with versions that only have a main gun, and like drop bombs with bombers but that's about it.

I generally avoid servers where I ping much more than 30 these days.

VincentNZ

Holy War? No Thanks.

(2,088)

Date of registration
: Jul 25th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Wednesday, June 14th 2017, 12:54am

But you have the luxury to do so. Many have not. I can choose a server in Frankfurt with a ping of 23ish or one in London for 40 or in Moscow for 50. People in the Midwest of the USA (I assume), Oceania and Asia will have trouble finding appropriate servers.

By the way, I play PUBG mostly on NA servers with a ping of 120 or so. Totally doable, you only see a difference in extreme close combat. I think for BF anything up to 80 is largely fine.