Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Date of registration
: Dec 3rd 2014

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Monday, June 5th 2017, 11:57am

I honestly prefer a simple kill goal, rather than some of the stuff BF3 and 4 had us do. All that "destroy an enemy helicopter with an EOD bot... on a Friday... 3 times in a round". Some of those were just painful. I just like the ones where it's say, kill 25 enemies with each of the dlc weapons". Something like isn't too painful and encourages players to try out new weapons and classes.

VincentNZ

Holy War? No Thanks.

(2,088)

Date of registration
: Jul 25th 2013

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Monday, June 5th 2017, 12:45pm

I honestly prefer a simple kill goal, rather than some of the stuff BF3 and 4 had us do. All that "destroy an enemy helicopter with an EOD bot... on a Friday... 3 times in a round". Some of those were just painful. I just like the ones where it's say, kill 25 enemies with each of the dlc weapons". Something like isn't too painful and encourages players to try out new weapons and classes.

Kill goals (with weapons) are just generic though and while they require you to choose a new weapon, they do not require thinking in the way of the EOD bot kills and RPG on helicoptres. The experience you gain in fulfilling the task are nothing to sneeze at, too. The kill goals of the last weapons though are just simple time sinks and long time sinks at that, too. At least most of BF3 and 4 could be done on the fly while you fulfilled your duty. And of course you could pad them, which you can not really do now, so it is a rather dull grind.

Date of registration
: Jan 12th 2014

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 13

Tuesday, June 6th 2017, 12:07am

Kill goals (with weapons) are just generic though and while they require you to choose a new weapon, they do not require thinking in the way of the EOD bot kills and RPG on helicoptres. The experience you gain in fulfilling the task are nothing to sneeze at, too. The kill goals of the last weapons though are just simple time sinks and long time sinks at that, too. At least most of BF3 and 4 could be done on the fly while you fulfilled your duty. And of course you could pad them, which you can not really do now, so it is a rather dull grind.

Grinding in any form is cancer. Even if you follow the argument that "the player base wants content to grind", adding content to grind is provably not impacting player counts or bolstering player retention.

VincentNZ

Holy War? No Thanks.

(2,088)

Date of registration
: Jul 25th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Tuesday, June 6th 2017, 12:36am

Grinding in any form is cancer. Even if you follow the argument that "the player base wants content to grind", adding content to grind is provably not impacting player counts or bolstering player retention.

I still believe some forms of grind can be entertaining, if only by the result. I found the RPG on helicoptre assignment rather fun, although I can not recall what we got as reward. The Defib/Knife/pistol Assignment was good, because you felt an accomplishment. However it could still be tiresome. For the current variations it is just a chore, apart from relief, I doubt I would feel anything. :D Good assignments should not need 6 hours of active playtime and involve stuff that can be done in any round, also using gagdets in a not so obvious way is a good idea. Like for the Naval Strike assignment you needed five C4 kills in boats, that was a bit different.

Date of registration
: Jan 12th 2014

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 13

Tuesday, June 6th 2017, 2:45am

I still believe some forms of grind can be entertaining, if only by the result. I found the RPG on helicoptre assignment rather fun, although I can not recall what we got as reward. The Defib/Knife/pistol Assignment was good, because you felt an accomplishment. However it could still be tiresome. For the current variations it is just a chore, apart from relief, I doubt I would feel anything. :D Good assignments should not need 6 hours of active playtime and involve stuff that can be done in any round, also using gagdets in a not so obvious way is a good idea. Like for the Naval Strike assignment you needed five C4 kills in boats, that was a bit different.

Fun little assignments like blowing up boats with C4 or something are fine providing they are only giving you flairs (dogtags, etc) or some sort of aesthetic thing. But time locking, or smurf locking (get x kills with a weapon on a specific map tower, WTF?!) core game assets is really just lame design in a game like battlefield. It's the laziest way to try to lock players into sinking time into your game. It's especially asinine in BF1 with its declining player base. If new content is struggling to attract/bring back players, why would you assume grind-locking some of the new content would retain players to any significant degree.

Date of registration
: Dec 3rd 2014

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Tuesday, June 6th 2017, 10:21pm

I don't think any assignments are really going to keep a player going if they lose interest in the game. What we need is more DLC but DICE for some reason thinks months between dlc is somehow ok. It kinda makes me glad I didn't get BF4 until all but one of the dlcs was out already. I missed the crappy launch and the tedious wait times. It seems to me this is all DICE's strategy does. Much like "game of the year" editions of games, all it does is punish the fans who support the game at release by selling us an inferior product.

I don't even think the first dlc was that bad. The guns are great, I use the Chauchat and Rickroll constantly. The new tank was also a nice addition. The maps aren't that great though and not enough to keep us going for months. I still havn't had a chance to use the trench raider either. I wish elite pickups were random on all maps and the trench raider had just been added to the mix like the St Chamond. Having it locked away on only a few maps really sucks. I still don't even know what it's weapons/ abilities are ;(