Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Oscar

Sona tank jungle

(1,948)

Date of registration
: May 30th 2012

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Friday, February 10th 2017, 5:42am

I don't really see an issue with the current way battlepacks work. Viper is spot on with the fact that it's just purely cosmetic shit and that is the absolute best way for it to be as it has no impact on the game.

Personally, I'd say that it isn't too hard to tell why the system was changed. BF4 packs and BF1 packs have completely different purposes, there's no way BF1 would drop packs as often as BF4 did because the content in the packs is of different nature.

With BF4 battlepacks you'd get some camos, stuff for the emblem maker, different variations of gun attachments and that's about it. The packs drop so often that what they offer doesn't matter as you'll eventually get everything.

BF1 has cosmetics in the packs that drop every now and then. Your guns already come with attachments (presets) and there's no uniform camouflage selection. If people want their pretty gun skins, gotta hit up the RNG machine. If that fails, try another go at the RNG machine but now with money.

The whole "super rare" thing is just a stupid mistake they made by not making 4 different rarities (novel concept I know, there's never been a game before that has 4 tiers of rarity on the items). If you placed the super rares a tier above orange, then there'd be no confusion, if you put them among the oranges, people expectedly think you can get them from superior packs which guarantee a orange drop.

Also I've seen a bunch of the Super rare skins used in game so it's not like they're non existent.

Basically, the way BF is currently designed doesn't lean towards a pay2win model and if they did adapt such a model in the future for the main series then I'll gladly watch then suicide their own franchise.
Bro of Legion, the lurker ninja mod | Tesla FTW | RNG is evil.

Quoted from "MsMuchLove"

I find majority of the complaints I hear about this game somehow never appear in my games.

ViperFTW

Suidae cathexis

(2,737)

Date of registration
: Jul 1st 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 20

Friday, February 10th 2017, 12:16pm

If all of the Battlepack unlocks are only cosmetic then I'm having real trouble understanding what your problem is
Youre missing the point im trying to make. Currently it is only cosmetic. I dont have a problem with that. Im jsut worried it will go beyond cosmetics and go the way of activision

Maybe I haven't made my point clear enough then, I apologise for that. What I was trying to get at is simply: They've moved away from Battlepacks having anything meaningful in them in BF1 whereas you've been able to purchase Battlepacks in previous Battlefield titles, so why would they suddenly totally change the function of the Battlepacks in order to make it so you had to pay for meaningful unlocks when that is how it worked in previous Battlefield titles. Why do this now when they could have done it earlier with greater effect and less impact to the game? Pessimism or not, if they were going to do it then I'd of suspected they would have done it with a previous Battlefield game and not this one.

Am I making more sense?

@Oscar

Oscar' picked up on what I was trying to say also.

Everybody's Favourite Worthless Support and LMG Fan! :thumbsup:

Song currently stuck in my head is: Red Cold River by Breaking Benjamin!

VincentNZ

Holy War? No Thanks.

(2,305)

Date of registration
: Jul 25th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 16

Friday, February 10th 2017, 12:41pm

Meh I think the fear is needless, and has been before. I still wonder who purchased the shortcuts in BF3 and 4, or even the battlepacks for specific weapons. Yeah the optics might have had a gameplay value, but even that is arguable, because you would unlock every optic with 350ish kills at the most and the effect was mostly psychological.

What I find more depressing is to give players the ability to purchase totally unneeded stuff. It is like stealing from the unprivileged, and I find it morally wrong.

• "Iplaysgames96" started this thread

Date of registration
: Dec 21st 2016

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 3

Friday, February 10th 2017, 3:22pm

If all of the Battlepack unlocks are only cosmetic then I'm having real trouble understanding what your problem is
Youre missing the point im trying to make. Currently it is only cosmetic. I dont have a problem with that. Im jsut worried it will go beyond cosmetics and go the way of activision

Maybe I haven't made my point clear enough then, I apologise for that. What I was trying to get at is simply: They've moved away from Battlepacks having anything meaningful in them in BF1 whereas you've been able to purchase Battlepacks in previous Battlefield titles, so why would they suddenly totally change the function of the Battlepacks in order to make it so you had to pay for meaningful unlocks when that is how it worked in previous Battlefield titles. Why do this now when they could have done it earlier with greater effect and less impact to the game? Pessimism or not, if they were going to do it then I'd of suspected they would have done it with a previous Battlefield game and not this one.

Am I making more sense?

@Oscar

Oscar' picked up on what I was trying to say also.
OK now I feel stupid *curls up into ball*
Official heretic of the Symthic forums. Avid M1907 factory user and complete casual pleb.
Iplaysgames96 - Profile Overview - Battlefield 1 Tracker

Date of registration
: Jan 12th 2014

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Friday, February 10th 2017, 7:33pm

Meh I think the fear is needless, and has been before. I still wonder who purchased the shortcuts in BF3 and 4, or even the battlepacks for specific weapons. Yeah the optics might have had a gameplay value, but even that is arguable, because you would unlock every optic with 350ish kills at the most and the effect was mostly psychological.

What I find more depressing is to give players the ability to purchase totally unneeded stuff. It is like stealing from the unprivileged, and I find it morally wrong.
I think the shortcut packs would make a lot of sense money/vs game enjoyment wise if you purchased a BF title at a very steep discount late into the development cycle. It's a real uphill battle if you get into the game at a rank 1 when everyone else is both seasoned and well equipped. Engineer classes in prior titles were especially gimped without their full set of launcher options - to this day I've still never ground out the recon weapons in BF4.

BF1 seems to have a much lower level cap to get everything you need though. Vehicle stuff is all behind unranked war bonds, and almost all of the most useful stuff is picked up by rank 3-4

Date of registration
: Mar 19th 2014

Battlelog:

Saturday, February 11th 2017, 1:31am

BF1 seems to have a much lower level cap to get everything you need though. Vehicle stuff is all behind unranked war bonds, and almost all of the most useful stuff is picked up by rank 3-4

That's the idea. I've heard a few of the devs outright say they'd prefer no unlock progression at all (at least for gameplay-affecting tools), which would indeed be the best way to have a fully fair and balanced game. BF1's system is an excellent way to have a nearly-unintrusive progression system, while still having one.

If players are actually not wanting to play because of the lack of shiny rewards and unlocks, then they're neither playing-to-win players nor are they playing-to-have-fun players, and so really they don't matter at all.
Who Enjoys, Wins

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Saturday, February 11th 2017, 1:39am

That's the idea. I've heard a few of the devs outright say they'd prefer no unlock progression at all (at least for gameplay-affecting tools), which would indeed be the best way to have a fully fair and balanced game. BF1's system is an excellent way to have a nearly-unintrusive progression system, while still having one.

If players are actually not wanting to play because of the lack of shiny rewards and unlocks, then they're neither playing-to-win players nor are they playing-to-have-fun players, and so really they don't matter at all.
The virtual carrot is an essential part of getting people hooked on games because getting some sort of "achievement" or a shiney, or whatever triggers your neurological reward response. Its part of the reason why games are addictive, they keep feeding you treats when you push the right combination of buttons.

Unlocks, progressions, shineys are just an overt reward mechanism.

Not saying it's a good thing. I'm not crazy about progression in games in general.

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(10,156)

Date of registration
: Apr 3rd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Saturday, February 11th 2017, 1:50am

and so really they don't matter at all.

Not when they are one of the biggest, if not the biggest, portion of players today.

Now, I'm not saying that the game's quality can be compromised to appeal to these people, but to say they don't matter is basically pissing away free $$$.
Data Browser

Passive Spotting is the future!

"Skill" may indeed be the most magical of words. Chant it well enough and any desire can be yours.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

Date of registration
: Mar 19th 2014

Battlelog:

Saturday, February 11th 2017, 1:51am

The virtual carrot is an essential part of getting people hooked on games because getting some sort of "achievement" or a shiney, or whatever triggers your neurological reward response. Its part of the reason why games are addictive, they keep feeding you treats when you push the right combination of buttons.

Not saying it's a good thing. I'm not crazy about progression in games in general.

That's also true, which is why the best system is like what Halo does, where all progression and unlocks are cosmetic. If they'd just rework the Battlepack/skin system to have even a slight hint of progression or legitimate reward, that would help immensely.
Who Enjoys, Wins

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Saturday, February 11th 2017, 2:13am

That's also true, which is why the best system is like what Halo does, where all progression and unlocks are cosmetic. If they'd just rework the Battlepack/skin system to have even a slight hint of progression or legitimate reward, that would help immensely.
My reward is making people rage when they get ganked by 57mm HE for the 5th-6th time in a row and see the 100 A7 service stars. But everyone has their thing.

The battlepack system is awful. They really missed an opportunity to make it progression or acheivement based rather than RNG.

The only meaningful cosmetic stuff are the vehicle paints anyway since they are the only cosmetics readily visible and all of the cool ones are ultra rare. GG guys.