Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "Dantheminigunfox" started this thread

Date of registration
: Dec 20th 2016

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 4

Monday, February 6th 2017, 10:28pm

Thoughts on the Elite classes

I already searched t he forums for this, but the thread was 70 days old so and the game has 'matured' now I thought I re-opening this topic would show some interesting opinions. I must mention that my preferred game mode is Rush, however I do enjoy Conquest and Operations but I 80% of my rounds have been rush. Mentioned this as game play style changes significantly between these modes, and as such the impact of elite classes differ considerably.
My opinion;

I really like them, here is why;

-They function as a breakthrough instrument as are vehicles. However, they can operate more easily and a bit less conspicuous at the squad level.
-They depend on medics and supports to maximize their effectiveness.
-Defending an elite class (from those pesky melee's) can prove very fruitful for the team
-They can be countered by all CLASSES. As such they really should frustrate players less than medics facing a heavy tank (For the record, I love vehicles in BF1, something which I disliked in previous BF games)
-Their lower movement speed and particular vulnerabilities make them a much more tactical replacement to battle pickups
-The Flamethrower in particular can seriously help out in chokepointy areas such as Argonne forest rush. Kind of wish it was present in all bunker scenarios such as Monte Grappa

With that being said, they have no place in TDM as I feel that this game mode is there purely to test an individual or a squad's skill with regular guns. I remember bad company 2 had a similar issue (worse) as an LAV spawned in Squad deathmatch (there was no TDM)

That is pretty much it. Elite classes are a good addition to the game especially considering that they were meant to replace battlepickups. The initial fears of 'oh its star wars battlefront heroes' were unfounded and have proven to be yet again people judging a book by its cover. (A friend of mine doesn't play this game because the fonts look like battlefront, no joke)

Date of registration
: Mar 19th 2014

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 16

Monday, February 6th 2017, 10:57pm

As a concept they're fantastic, and for the most part they're well implemented. I do agree they shouldn't really be in TDM or Dom though. The real issue I have with them is they're basically just a primary weapon with a bit more health; even if the gun is decent-to-great, they're a bit bland and they don't help the team past getting a few kills.

The Tank Hunter is a model example of a proper Elite, with a weapon that counters vehicles along with a pair of useful gadgets, and an alternate primary for defence on the move. The Tank Hunter could have been just the Tankgewehr and an pistol (as he was in the Beta) and would still be able to do his job pretty much as effectively. But he wouldn't be nearly as fun or be able to help his team as much. Cavalry, and even Pilot and Tanker have gadgets too.

I posted a longer explanation elsewhere, but to keep it simple this is what I see as ideal:

Flame Trooper - Flash Flare Gun, Incendiary Tripmines, Incendiary Grenade (he has the grenade)

MG 08/15 Sentry - Trench Shield, Ammo Box, Smoke Grenades

Villar-Perosa Sentry - AT Mines, Wrench, Frag Grenade

Tank Hunter should get Light AT instead of Frag.
Who Enjoys, Wins

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "BleedingUranium" (Feb 7th 2017, 12:00am) with the following reason: a word

Date of registration
: Dec 17th 2015

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 3

Monday, February 6th 2017, 11:04pm

I have the same thoughts as Uranium and your OP.

But of course, some content creators have to get salty about the concept of them...

Date of registration
: Oct 28th 2016

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Monday, February 6th 2017, 11:12pm

I have the same thoughts as Uranium and your OP.

But of course, some content creators have to get salty about the concept of them...
I nominate Ravic, an incredibly experienced and skilled Battlefielder, who surprisingly has a limited understanding of DICE's design in the bolt-actions or elites. It's amazing how the best players can have such uninformed opinions about the game.

Gecko99

thank mr skeltal

(454)

Date of registration
: Dec 17th 2016

Battlelog:

Monday, February 6th 2017, 11:12pm

The real issue I have with them is they're basically just a primary weapon with a bit more health
I've been thinking about how without the health buff the flamethrower and MG08/15 would be MUCH weaker, they both have long wind up times and somewhat slow TTK. If normal players were running around with the Wex you would probably be able to take them down with most weapons before they could fire back,
that said it probably wouldn't be a good idea to give non-elites the Wex because there would be a lot of annoying deaths and trade kills.
Autoloading 8 .25 extended user.

• "Dantheminigunfox" started this thread

Date of registration
: Dec 20th 2016

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 4

Monday, February 6th 2017, 11:18pm

Flame Trooper - Flash Flare Gun, Incendiary Tripmines, Incendiary Grenade (he has the grenade)

MG 08/15 Sentry - Shield, Ammo Box, Smoke Grenades

That is a very cool idea. Basically improving their utlity beyond killing stuff, tanking and clearing rooms. I will check the original post. Is the shield referring to the trench shield? Or something resembling a ballistic shield. Oh yes and forgot to mention, I really really think that the flamethrower should disable any incoming bayonet charge. It seems way too easy to suicide bayonet a flamer, much more so than the other elites.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Tuesday, February 7th 2017, 12:00am

MG 08/15 Sentry - Shield, Ammo Box, Smoke Grenades

That is a very cool idea. Basically improving their utlity beyond killing stuff, tanking and clearing rooms. I will check the original post. Is the shield referring to the trench shield? Or something resembling a ballistic shield. Oh yes and forgot to mention, I really really think that the flamethrower should disable any incoming bayonet charge. It seems way too easy to suicide bayonet a flamer, much more so than the other elites.

Oops, just the normal Trench Shield, I'll edit that in.

While the bayonet is a nice counter-Elite mechanic, I do agree it's a bit too easy to trade with a Flame Trooper, and a trade is always a loss to the Elite. I'm not exactly sure what the Wex's stats are, but it does feel like the visual flames cover far more than the "real" invisible projectiles; more spread/coverage may be good here.

Also, is that a real life picture of a Huot in your avatar? That's awesome!
Who Enjoys, Wins

Date of registration
: Jan 12th 2014

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Tuesday, February 7th 2017, 1:58am

I find the elites to be really uninteresting, save for the tank-hunter which I find overpowered and which generally gives me nightmares.

Date of registration
: Dec 17th 2015

Battlelog:

Tuesday, February 7th 2017, 4:10am

I find the elites to be really uninteresting, save for the tank-hunter which I find overpowered and which generally gives me nightmares.
*Doesn't think the Sentry and Flametrooper are interesting*
*Thinks the Tankhunter is a nightmare*
*Looks at name*
"Tankmayvin"
"Tank"
Ya don't say mate? I was under the impression they shouldn't engage with armor...

In all seriousness though, I agree that they're not interesting enough because the Tankhunter has more stuff to it. He has a secondary shottie blaster, 2 gadgets, a powerful yet mobility limiting primary, and lots of grenades. What does Flamtrooper have? A flamethrower and some incendiary grenades. What does the Sentry have? A big gun and some nades. Look at the diversity between those two compared to the Tankhunter...

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Tuesday, February 7th 2017, 4:19am

In all seriousness though, I agree that they're not interesting enough because the Tankhunter has more stuff to it. He has a secondary shottie blaster, 2 gadgets, a powerful yet mobility limiting primary, and lots of grenades. What does Flamtrooper have? A flamethrower and some incendiary grenades. What does the Sentry have? A big gun and some nades. Look at the diversity between those two compared to the Tankhunter...

And the result of them being uninteresting and not helpful to the team, but pretty good at killing means that they get the same reputation as hill-camping snipers or Arty Trucks, and other "selfish" tools and weapons. Part of the reason people dislike Elites is because of exactly this. They're selfish killing machines with no teamplay abilities.

If they got these gadgets, and the playstyles that go with those additions, I think people would warm up to them.
Who Enjoys, Wins