Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "Carlos Danger" started this thread

Date of registration
: Apr 12th 2014

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Sunday, January 15th 2017, 9:29am

Is It Just Me Or Does The MG08/15 Sentry Kit Suck?

Kinda a mini rant here, but I've tried using this thing maybe a dozen times now and have had essentially zero success. The gun is generally inaccurate and has a counter-intuitive firing mechanic that discourages burst firing. The inability to put on a mask forces you to spend most of your time dodging gas grenades and thus keeps you away from the close-quarters action where the kit should excel. And, as with all the sentries, it takes forever to heal while using it.

I dunno. Every time I try using this I'm like 'Yeah! This is gonna be great. I'm gonna kick some ass with this cool gun.' And then I invariably die trying to run out of the radius of a gas grenade and find myself thinking that I'd probably have done better just playing Assault or Scout. Maybe this kit is better in other gamemodes (I only play Operations).

Anybody else had a different experience?

Date of registration
: Mar 19th 2014

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 16

Sunday, January 15th 2017, 10:25am

It's pretty awful. MG is bad in CQB, on top of slow move speed and being extremely vulnerable to melee (including charge). MG doesn't have especially high damage. Cannot counter gas, which is everywhere. Can't damage vehicles despite carrying giant MG that is the same model that damages vehicles when attached to other things. Can't go prone. Can't ADS. Can't use the bipod that's on the gun. Has no gadgets (see: Tank Hunter). Has no real notable traits or abilities.
Who Enjoys, Wins

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "BleedingUranium" (Jan 15th 2017, 11:31am) with the following reason: Spelling

Date of registration
: Dec 24th 2011

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 10

Sunday, January 15th 2017, 10:30am

To add insult to injury, if you come across a Flame Trooper while as the MG08/15 Sentry, you'll likely only be able to knock off about 20% of his health before he turns your armor into an ultra-convenient oven.

The kit has its merits, but overall, it's really the most lackluster of all the elite classes by a long shot. If anything, this guy exists almost purely for marketing. Cuz you know, give a guy a very heavy suit of armor with a very heavy machine gun (generally a man-portable Minigun in modern-themed games), and apparently that's just the most "badass" thing to all the "kiddies." Even if it does look downright ludicrous. . .

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(9,997)

Date of registration
: Apr 3rd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Sunday, January 15th 2017, 12:33pm

LMG Sentry plays like a tankier Support.

If you are bad at Support, you will be bad at using the LMG Sentry.
Data Browser

Passive Spotting is the future!

With this, I'll rid MGO3 of infestation. Sans bad gameplay MGO3 will be torn asunder. And then it shall be free. People will suffer, of course - a phantom pain.

Reddit and Konami will rewrite the records... And I will be demonized in human memory. But... The thirst for good gameplay that I have planted will infest MGO3. No one can stop it now. The Rebalance Mod will unleash that thirst unto the future.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

C0llis

Up and down. Bounce all around

(3,334)

Date of registration
: Apr 15th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 15

Sunday, January 15th 2017, 1:03pm

Not really. Support shoots lasers.

Sentry has ~twice the spread of the average LMG at a measly 430 RPM.

Sentry also doesn't have any of the useful gadgets that makes support interesting to play.

Edit instead of double post: All the other pickup classes have weapons that excel at their role/range, but the LMG Sentry has a gun that is more or less a downgraded MG15. It's got tankyness, but no real bite. It's more of a "soak" than a "tank".

For a pickup class that is all about the gun (because that is all it has, except for the durability, which is something all pickup classes have) the gun is very lackluster. Some more utility or raw power would be welcome, like being able to deploy the bipod, damaging light vehicles and going prone.

That, or the ability to deploy ammo and medbags, to make it a real "anchor" for the team.

Things people said

And reading Youtube comments still gives me Turbo Cancer.

It really is quite frustrating when Helen Keller sets up her LMG in the only doorway in/out of an area.

What kind of question is that? Since when is cheese ever a bad idea?

Hardline is a fun and sometimes silly Cops and Robbers sorta thing and I think that's great. Or it would be if it didn't suck.

This post has been edited 5 times, last edit by "C0llis" (Jan 15th 2017, 2:26pm)

elementofprgress

Wizard moderator

(3,544)

Date of registration
: Jun 28th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Sunday, January 15th 2017, 6:42pm

Doesn't help when you have an alternate sentry build and it melts any and all infy in its path.

Symthic Forum Rules
Battlefield Data Browser
Come join us on teamspeak!!!
Symthic/Team Symthic Teamspeak: TeamSym.Nitrado.net

Date of registration
: Mar 19th 2014

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 16

Sunday, January 15th 2017, 9:26pm

Not really. Support shoots lasers.

Sentry has ~twice the spread of the average LMG at a measly 430 RPM.

Sentry also doesn't have any of the useful gadgets that makes support interesting to play.

Edit instead of double post: All the other pickup classes have weapons that excel at their role/range, but the LMG Sentry has a gun that is more or less a downgraded MG15. It's got tankyness, but no real bite. It's more of a "soak" than a "tank".

For a pickup class that is all about the gun (because that is all it has, except for the durability, which is something all pickup classes have) the gun is very lackluster. Some more utility or raw power would be welcome, like being able to deploy the bipod, damaging light vehicles and going prone.

That, or the ability to deploy ammo and medbags, to make it a real "anchor" for the team.

Also, more than 35 rounds before overheat. The Hellriegel has 40 (why!?) and Lewis has 50; it should at least be on par with the Lewis, if not better.
Who Enjoys, Wins

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(9,997)

Date of registration
: Apr 3rd 2012

Battlelog:

Sunday, January 15th 2017, 10:21pm

Villar Parosa misses too much and really just plays like an alternate Flame Trooper.

Between the two, I'd pick the Flame Trooper because infinite ammo.
Data Browser

Passive Spotting is the future!

With this, I'll rid MGO3 of infestation. Sans bad gameplay MGO3 will be torn asunder. And then it shall be free. People will suffer, of course - a phantom pain.

Reddit and Konami will rewrite the records... And I will be demonized in human memory. But... The thirst for good gameplay that I have planted will infest MGO3. No one can stop it now. The Rebalance Mod will unleash that thirst unto the future.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

Oscar

Sona tank jungle

(1,948)

Date of registration
: May 30th 2012

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Monday, January 16th 2017, 1:31am

Villar Parosa misses too much and really just plays like an alternate Flame Trooper.

Between the two, I'd pick the Flame Trooper because infinite ammo.

That same flame trooper can have its damage output massively cut if the opponent simply goes prone and even just stops moving.

Villar penosa is a 1800rpm SMG with 50 rounds in the mag.

In the same way you can play around the Flamethrowers damage output on the receiving end by adapting a stance that minimises damage taken so that you stand a better chance (if you really have to engage head on/can't melee/etc), the VP user can seek cover in-between reloads and still keep a massive damage output that's not dependent on the enemy to run from you so you actually can kill stuff before dying to what you're shooting at.

As for the MG08, it's bad. Plain and simple. It's not even about knowing how to play support or just opening fire before engaging to keep a minimal spread. Accuracy is abysmal and the damage output is low. Flame Trooper does constant damage output better, Villar Perosa is a SMG on steroids.
Bro of Legion, the lurker ninja mod | Tesla FTW | RNG is evil.

Quoted from "MsMuchLove"

I find majority of the complaints I hear about this game somehow never appear in my games.

Date of registration
: Dec 3rd 2014

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 10

Monday, January 16th 2017, 3:03am

It really does feel like a bad MG15. I would have much preferred the MG08 to be an upgraded regular LMG with ADS and a bipod. Being able to damage vehicles (slowly) would have been cool too. Considering these kits are supposed to be powerful, I don't think this is unreasonable. The way it is now also means that 3/4 kits play exactly the same. Only the AT kits is really unique.