Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "Iplaysgames96" started this thread

Date of registration
: Dec 21st 2016

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 1

Wednesday, January 11th 2017, 12:00am

Black powder weapon particle effects

This is a total nit pick nonetheless I should bring it up for discussion seeing that nobody has yet.

For those who aren't familiar with weapons, some featured in BF1 are black powder rather than gun (smokeless) powder.
smokeless gun powder was revolutionary and became mainstream for militaries about 10 years before ww1 arrived. as the name implies smokeless powder generates
a larger muzzle flash but much less smoke. smokeless powder is also a higher pressure explosive than black powder. (this is why you cannot use gunpowder for black
powder weapons or the gun will most likely explode)

an infamous trait of black powder weapons is a large blast of smoke and sparks: here is an example of a REAL gasser 1870 showing this
GASSER MONTENEGRIN REVOLVER MOD 1870 CALIBER 11MM - YouTube

It would be cool if DICE added smoke and spark particle effects to black powder weapons such as the gasser 1870, no 3 revolver, martini henry, etc.
Its not a big deal and really isnt that important but to would be cool :P

Date of registration
: Mar 19th 2014

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 12

Wednesday, January 11th 2017, 12:19am

I definitely wouldn't say no to this! The Bodeo is also black powder I believe.

Date of registration
: Apr 26th 2013

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Wednesday, January 11th 2017, 12:27am

I don't think DICE overlooked this authenticity factor, in fact I'm pretty sure they deliberately avoided this type of particle effect because it would severely incapacite the efficacy of the weapon in question. A blast of sparks and thick smoke would make consecutive shots horribly inaccurate for the user because of hindered visibility.

Losing track of targets in muzzle flash is already a present and mildly frustrating aspect.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, January 11th 2017, 1:02am

I don't think DICE overlooked this authenticity factor, in fact I'm pretty sure they deliberately avoided this type of particle effect because it would severely incapacite the efficacy of the weapon in question. A blast of sparks and thick smoke would make consecutive shots horribly inaccurate for the user because of hindered visibility.

Losing track of targets in muzzle flash is already a present and mildly frustrating aspect.

Then just buff the weapon otherwise to compensate.

Date of registration
: Jan 12th 2014

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Wednesday, January 11th 2017, 1:22am

Some nitpicks on your nitpick.

Black powder isn't "lower pressure", it typically has lower burn rates, causing it to build up less pressure for a specific configuration of propellant mass, chambrage and projectile configuration (mass, sectional density).

There is a certain point when you need to draw the line on aunthenticity. Battlefield has typically avoided modelling self obscuring: tanks, field guns, and even shoulder launched weapons are all capable of blinding themselves either through exhaust products or the blast kicking up dust.

But I think it's generally totally neglected because it's a bunch of extra work and ultimately brings little to the table. Also messing with quality of life things when they impact balance is messy business. For eg on paper guns ruined by abysmal irons, etc.

• "Iplaysgames96" started this thread

Date of registration
: Dec 21st 2016

Battlelog:

Wednesday, January 11th 2017, 1:39am

Also, most of the black powder guns are pistols which have an effective range so close that at the ranges you engage the enemy effectively you wouldn't have a hard time tracking your target through the smoke. The only non handgun black powder weapon would be the martini henry and the smoke blast effect wouldnt hamper it at all. Follow up shots are not something the martini is capable of because you have to immediately reload after one shot

Date of registration
: Apr 26th 2013

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Wednesday, January 11th 2017, 2:30am

Uranium, I'm shocked. That's a very vague response, especially for you! :P

What facets apart from damage or recoil would you suggest to counteract a, guaranteed, visual disadvantage?

Date of registration
: Jun 21st 2012

Reputation modifier: 7

Wednesday, January 11th 2017, 3:35am

Fun fact about Gasser in BF1: if you hold down "fire" button - it will fire all six bullets... double-action revolver in automatic fire mode... DICE =D
Sorry for my bad english - it's not my native language and I have difficulties with acquiring speaking/writing practice in my country. If I accidently insult you or say something wrong - I'm sorry, you can feel free to correct me.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, January 11th 2017, 6:13am

Fun fact about Gasser in BF1: if you hold down "fire" button - it will fire all six bullets... double-action revolver in automatic fire mode... DICE =D

It, and the M97 Trench Gun, aren't actually full auto; the Gasser has you fan the hammer while the Trench Gun is slamfired. They are "full auto" in a purely technical sense only (meaning you can hold the trigger/mouse button). Nothing wrong with this.

What's actually odd is that the No.3 doesn't let you do the same.

Date of registration
: Dec 17th 2015

Battlelog:

Thursday, January 12th 2017, 9:03pm

Wait, so you're telling me, I can be the ultimate McCree main in Battlefield now?...