Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "Hau_ruck" started this thread

Date of registration
: Dec 3rd 2014

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Tuesday, November 1st 2016, 12:04pm

Does anyone else wish they could lock their vehicle's doors?

Personally, I think if we can lock our squads to keep useless players out we should be able to do the same for vehicles. I've been playing since BC2 and I have never once had a decent driver or gunner in a jeep. Ever. In BF1 same goes for the boat. The number of times I have been capturing E on Empire's Edge by floating out in the water and shooting defenders with the boat cannon, only to have some idiot spawn on me and drive right onto the land! This just gets us both killed. Why do players do this? Was there some PSA I missed?

The heavy armoured car in BF1 is the most egregious example. They are hard enough to find, what with players being unable to spawn into them on flags (a glitch?), but on top of that once you get in one any old moron can just spawn in your car at any time. The cars are great on Amiens for capturing the bridges and then holding them with the turret MG, but every time I get in a good spot someone spawns in the car and drives it either into a wall or right into an enemy position/ tank and we all die. Of all the bad behaviours in battlefield, vehicle stealing from your own team has to be the worst. I just wish there was some defence against these players.

Date of registration
: Jan 12th 2014

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 13

Tuesday, November 1st 2016, 12:13pm

Personally, I think if we can lock our squads to keep useless players out we should be able to do the same for vehicles. I've been playing since BC2 and I have never once had a decent driver or gunner in a jeep. Ever. In BF1 same goes for the boat. The number of times I have been capturing E on Empire's Edge by floating out in the water and shooting defenders with the boat cannon, only to have some idiot spawn on me and drive right onto the land! This just gets us both killed. Why do players do this? Was there some PSA I missed?

The heavy armoured car in BF1 is the most egregious example. They are hard enough to find, what with players being unable to spawn into them on flags (a glitch?), but on top of that once you get in one any old moron can just spawn in your car at any time. The cars are great on Amiens for capturing the bridges and then holding them with the turret MG, but every time I get in a good spot someone spawns in the car and drives it either into a wall or right into an enemy position/ tank and we all die. Of all the bad behaviours in battlefield, vehicle stealing from your own team has to be the worst. I just wish there was some defence against these players.

Agreed 100%. This has always been super annoying to me.

BF1 is particularly frustrating because you may need to operate the gun on the landship briefly and someone can just spawn in and take the drivers seat.

Repairing squad mates/crew can also find themselves without a gunner seat to return to.

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,088)

Date of registration
: Mar 21st 2013

Reputation modifier: 16

Tuesday, November 1st 2016, 2:13pm

I can see what is the issue here and it indeed can be annoying when somebody takes your seat.

However vehicles are not meant to be played solo by any means, and this is even further emphasized in BF1 with multi-seat tanks. If you want to solo something take the light tank or artillery.
Also, locking spawn points like this would new world for griefing where you have bunch of boats and tanks going around solo but you can't spawn on them because driver wants to keep all the guns to himself. Even if somebody is a bad tank driver they still have the right to drive with it.

However I have to agree on "repair-guy's seat gets taken" part. Doesn't really entice you to jump out and repair your pal when there's [insert probability] chance your seat will be lost. I don't know how to fix this though. Maybe some kind of a delay if person jumps out from tank before the seat comes available for others, or if person is more than X meters away from tank his seat will become available. With current mechanics I imagine this would be tricky to implement though, not to speak of other complications it could cause.
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • leptis - Analysis of shotguns, recoil, recoil control and air drag.
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included

VincentNZ

Holy War? No Thanks.

(2,088)

Date of registration
: Jul 25th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Tuesday, November 1st 2016, 2:42pm

Yeah this might sound like a reasonable idea, but in the end you will jsut end up with a locked A7 taken by the guy that is alone in his locked squad as well.

Oscar

Sona tank jungle

(1,925)

Date of registration
: May 30th 2012

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Tuesday, November 1st 2016, 3:35pm

However I have to agree on "repair-guy's seat gets taken" part. Doesn't really entice you to jump out and repair your pal when there's [insert probability] chance your seat will be lost. I don't know how to fix this though. Maybe some kind of a delay if person jumps out from tank before the seat comes available for others, or if person is more than X meters away from tank his seat will become available. With current mechanics I imagine this would be tricky to implement though, not to speak of other complications it could cause.
Also worth keeping in mind that any soldier without a repair hammer equipped won't be able to self repair from the inside. It's not rare to see abandoned tanks (most notably, landships) because they were damaged but the crew got shot and no one could keep the vehicle going.
Bro of Legion, the lurker ninja mod | Tesla FTW | RNG is evil.

Quoted from "MsMuchLove"

I find majority of the complaints I hear about this game somehow never appear in my games.

Date of registration
: Sep 7th 2016

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Tuesday, November 1st 2016, 10:45pm

Absolutely not, as vehicles with teammates in them are valuable spawn points alternatives that can allow players to get to objectives faster.

To counter your example regarding the E flag on Empire's Edge, I had a similar experience just yesterday but with the difference being that it was I who beached the vehicle. I was originally the driver of the boat, but I switched to the front gunner seat once arriving on the shores. There must have been half a dozen spawns at my location within two minutes, in which we managed to capture the objective with help of the support from my explosive shots.

Date of registration
: Feb 25th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Tuesday, November 1st 2016, 10:53pm

Absolutely not, as vehicles with teammates in them are valuable spawn points alternatives that can allow players to get to objectives faster.

especially now that there isn't a spawn beacon gadget.

p.s.: about beaching boats: don't, unless you do fully, the other day in the first match of operations i had (the second one was the rage-inducing one)someone put a boat close to the shore of B around the end of round, i just took it and killed almost the entire enemy team on their spawn.

don't beach your boats kids.
"I'm just a loot whore."

stuff mostly unrelated to BF4 that interests nobody

bf4
on 13/05/2016
23rd M320FB user on pc(13/05/16)
rush mode score RANK:2794 TOP:2% OUT OF:215398
obliteration mode scoreRANK:994 TOP:1% OUT OF:159466
handgun medals RANK:2236 TOP:2% OUT OF:143874
longest headshot RANK:9512 TOP:4% OUT OF:257589
recon score RANK:10871 TOP:4% OUT OF:274899
general score per minute RANK:10016 TOP:4% OUT OF:294774

bf3
31/3/2012 4:58:

Headshot distance RANK:493* TOP:0%
Revives per assault minute RANK: 6019 TOP: 3%
Headshots / kill percentage RANK:25947 TOP:13%
MVP ribbons RANK:18824 TOP:11%

*= 6 if we not count the EOD BOT headshots

@kataklism

ARGUMENT DESTROYED 100

ENEMY KILLED [REASON] JSLICE20 100

WRITING SPREE STOPPED 500

link to full-size old avatar:
http://i.imgur.com/4X0321O.gif

Date of registration
: Jan 12th 2014

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 13

Tuesday, November 1st 2016, 11:21pm

I can see what is the issue here and it indeed can be annoying when somebody takes your seat.

However vehicles are not meant to be played solo by any means, and this is even further emphasized in BF1 with multi-seat tanks. If you want to solo something take the light tank or artillery.
Also, locking spawn points like this would new world for griefing where you have bunch of boats and tanks going around solo but you can't spawn on them because driver wants to keep all the guns to himself. Even if somebody is a bad tank driver they still have the right to drive with it.

Just make it possible to lock a vehicle to squad only then. Which is really who you want crewing your vehicle anyway because you can still use VOIP with squad randos but not rando teammates.

The multi-crew tanks are useful in theory only for general pub play. The flank and stern MG positions only need to be occupied part time, and can effectively be manned by a single person seat switching.

Likewise the shitty field of fire of the fore guns means that often one person can switch left/right because one of the guns will not have a decent field of fire.

It is also difficult to consistently get a pair of gunners for a landship, if any at all. I've often had to swap to the other sponson to double an enemy tank with a single gunner in the other sponson.

The only way you're going to get effective crewing of these things is with a reasonably tight knit squad anyway.

More importantly - my experience so far is that the flanker FT is a far superior squad vehicle than any of multicrews. You roll the FT with a squad that's got a couple of assaults with rocket guns, a med and a support to keep everyone loaded and the tank repaired. And you will utterly crush things. The assaults + tank + mortar or limpets have great AT output and the FT flanker has insane anti infantry output keeping your whole squad safe. You can't outrun them either so the whole squad can sorta move together. The heavy breaktrough is also nice with the twin autocannons and it lets you dispense with the support guy and lets your medic bring a dps secondary.

Miffyli

Symthic Developer

(6,088)

Date of registration
: Mar 21st 2013

Reputation modifier: 16

Tuesday, November 1st 2016, 11:34pm

@tankmayvin
That "squad lock" thing sounds better indeed. Also I have to agree with the ineffectiveness of having all slots filled all the time: Guns have limited FoV, the tanks move and turn slowly and tank is rarely completely surrounded by soldiers. Mostly the turrets seem to work as anti-assaults who try to C4 you, but other than that they idle most of the time.

I would like to think of more opinions and arguments but I have to dash to bed right now.
Links to users' thread list who have made analytical/statistical/mathematical/cool posts on Symthic:
  • 3VerstsNorth - Analysis of game mechanics in BF4 (tickrates, effects of tickrate, etc)
  • leptis - Analysis of shotguns, recoil, recoil control and air drag.
  • Veritable - Scoring of BF4/BF1 firearms in terms of usability, firing and other mechanics.
  • Miffyli - Random statistical analysis of BF4 battlereports/players and kill-distances. (list is cluttered with other threads).
Sorry if your name wasn't on the list, I honestly can't recall all names : ( . Nudge me if you want to be included

Date of registration
: Mar 19th 2014

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 15

Tuesday, November 1st 2016, 11:38pm

I get that this can be annoying, but locking vehicles would be drastically worse. Part of the reason I'll almost always take the Bomber over the Attack Plane is because the Bomber has team spawn, whereas the Attack Plane only has squad spawn.

The Bomber is especially good for this, because not only are both gunner positions fun and effective (meaning people will actually use them), the plane is also exceptionally useful as a spawn point, especially considering you'll be spending most of your time doing runs straight over contented and/or enemy objectives. The Heavy Tanks is very similar, and once I unlock the Squad Support Landship (next thing to buy) it will definitely be my go-to tank option.

Ultimately the current method does have some annoying/frustrating aspects, but it's definitely a trade-off for the greater good. Now, if we could have one of those timer-based temporary locks that lets people get out to repair, that's something I would Support. But if you want to see what happens when locks are allowed, just look at the fifteen locked squads in every match.

Edit: Actually, something just occurred to me. If the Attack Plane is squad-only but the Bomber is whole-team, the tanks should definitely match this; Landship should be squad-only while Heavy Tank should remain whole-team. Seeing as the Landship is the one that's the real issue, I think this would be perfect.
Who has fun, wins.