Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

• "Ballistic" started this thread

Date of registration
: Jan 11th 2014

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Monday, October 31st 2016, 9:32pm

The Flare Gun

Thought I'd give some attention to a mysterious little gadget that gets no love. I have some answers, but even more questions.

How does this thing work exactly? I understand that it's for the purpose of spotting, however I've never seen a single enemy spotted by my own flare. I do get quite a few "Spot Assists" from it, which makes me believe that my team is seeing the enemies I've spotted, but not me. Meanwhile I believe I've seen it work when someone else used it, as a large number of spots instantly appeared and stayed longer than usual. Is this the intended function and your experience with it? It's hard to use something that doesn't help yourself.

What is the mechanism it uses for spotting? I first suspected it might be something like a cone projected beneath it, so you'd want to shoot it at a high angle making a large cone. I suspect it works more like a sphere though, meaning you'd want to shoot it at a lower angle and get it closer to the enemies.

The one thing I do know it does is set a bad guy ablaze. I tried to shovel a guy in the back and I hit the wrong button and it lit him up like a christmas tree. Good times.

VincentNZ

Holy War? No Thanks.

(2,287)

Date of registration
: Jul 25th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 15

Monday, October 31st 2016, 9:46pm

It is a minimap spot only and lasts for a good minute or so in the area it covers. I used it on Monte Grappa at the tunnel, putting it on the floor, where it illuminated an area approx 30m around it. It also sets people on fire.

At first I thought it spots the enemies that walk under the flare, but it is basically spotting where it hits the ground. So this is something to keep in mind. What I do not know, but I expect so, is whehter it spots enemies whilst in the air already. In the end the flare is exactly like the motion sensor in the way it is working, I believe.

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(9,997)

Date of registration
: Apr 3rd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Monday, October 31st 2016, 9:55pm

It's almost like a Commander UAV with a lifetime of 25s and a radius of 30m.

It scans for stationary players in addition to moving ones which is why it is closer to the Commander UAV than a T-UGS.
Data Browser

Passive Spotting is the future!

With this, I'll rid MGO3 of infestation. Sans bad gameplay MGO3 will be torn asunder. And then it shall be free. People will suffer, of course - a phantom pain.

Reddit and Konami will rewrite the records... And I will be demonized in human memory. But... The thirst for good gameplay that I have planted will infest MGO3. No one can stop it now. The Rebalance Mod will unleash that thirst unto the future.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

VincentNZ

Holy War? No Thanks.

(2,287)

Date of registration
: Jul 25th 2013

Battlelog:

Monday, October 31st 2016, 9:57pm

Are you sure it does not last longer? I could swear it was over a minute, but I was a bit stressed out, people were coming at me middle, left and right.

Date of registration
: Feb 25th 2012

Battlelog:

Monday, October 31st 2016, 11:15pm

just see it like a longer range motion all from bf4, it won't spot anyone in flight(afaik) the spotting is only 2D, but over a fairly large area.
"I'm just a loot whore."

stuff mostly unrelated to BF4 that interests nobody

bf4
on 13/05/2016
23rd M320FB user on pc(13/05/16)
rush mode score RANK:2794 TOP:2% OUT OF:215398
obliteration mode scoreRANK:994 TOP:1% OUT OF:159466
handgun medals RANK:2236 TOP:2% OUT OF:143874
longest headshot RANK:9512 TOP:4% OUT OF:257589
recon score RANK:10871 TOP:4% OUT OF:274899
general score per minute RANK:10016 TOP:4% OUT OF:294774

bf3
31/3/2012 4:58:

Headshot distance RANK:493* TOP:0%
Revives per assault minute RANK: 6019 TOP: 3%
Headshots / kill percentage RANK:25947 TOP:13%
MVP ribbons RANK:18824 TOP:11%

*= 6 if we not count the EOD BOT headshots

@kataklism

ARGUMENT DESTROYED 100

ENEMY KILLED [REASON] JSLICE20 100

WRITING SPREE STOPPED 500

link to full-size old avatar:
http://i.imgur.com/4X0321O.gif

Date of registration
: Jan 1st 2014

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Tuesday, November 1st 2016, 12:02am

I could swear I saw the flare spot enemies it flies over, albeit very briefly.

Date of registration
: Feb 25th 2012

Battlelog:

Tuesday, November 1st 2016, 12:16am

i should try and fire it at a perfect 90° angle upwards and see what happens before it touches the ground.
"I'm just a loot whore."

stuff mostly unrelated to BF4 that interests nobody

bf4
on 13/05/2016
23rd M320FB user on pc(13/05/16)
rush mode score RANK:2794 TOP:2% OUT OF:215398
obliteration mode scoreRANK:994 TOP:1% OUT OF:159466
handgun medals RANK:2236 TOP:2% OUT OF:143874
longest headshot RANK:9512 TOP:4% OUT OF:257589
recon score RANK:10871 TOP:4% OUT OF:274899
general score per minute RANK:10016 TOP:4% OUT OF:294774

bf3
31/3/2012 4:58:

Headshot distance RANK:493* TOP:0%
Revives per assault minute RANK: 6019 TOP: 3%
Headshots / kill percentage RANK:25947 TOP:13%
MVP ribbons RANK:18824 TOP:11%

*= 6 if we not count the EOD BOT headshots

@kataklism

ARGUMENT DESTROYED 100

ENEMY KILLED [REASON] JSLICE20 100

WRITING SPREE STOPPED 500

link to full-size old avatar:
http://i.imgur.com/4X0321O.gif

C0llis

Up and down. Bounce all around

(3,334)

Date of registration
: Apr 15th 2013

Battlelog:

Tuesday, November 1st 2016, 1:26am

From my experience it starts spotting after a small delay (not unlike the arming delay of launched explosives), so if it has a lot of airtime it can start spotting while in the air. You can see this by observing the minimap and the bright circle that shows the spotting radius.

Things people said

And reading Youtube comments still gives me Turbo Cancer.

It really is quite frustrating when Helen Keller sets up her LMG in the only doorway in/out of an area.

What kind of question is that? Since when is cheese ever a bad idea?

Hardline is a fun and sometimes silly Cops and Robbers sorta thing and I think that's great. Or it would be if it didn't suck.

Date of registration
: Sep 7th 2016

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Tuesday, November 1st 2016, 7:25am

I have noticed the flare drifting on the map before landing, so I believe it indeed begins to spot enemies after a while in the air.

The one thing I do know it does is set a bad guy ablaze. I tried to shovel a guy in the back and I hit the wrong button and it lit him up like a christmas tree. Good times.

Just wait until you get your first kill with the Flare Gun. Haha.

C0llis

Up and down. Bounce all around

(3,334)

Date of registration
: Apr 15th 2013

Battlelog:

Tuesday, November 1st 2016, 7:57am

Just wait until you get your first kill with the Flare Gun. Haha.
That is a really useful property of the flare gun which I use a ton. Not only can you spot enemies in choke points , you can also get area denial and an indicator if someone passes the flare. Probably why not set the guy who escaped behind cover with 20 health on fire? The utility of the flare gun is exceptional, especially given the relative scarcity of spotting in the game.

The only downside is the tendency to set yourself on fire and (sometimes) the aoe of the fire-effect , which is bigger than you expect. This often cuts of your path in the same way it cuts off the enemies' when used for area denial.

Things people said

And reading Youtube comments still gives me Turbo Cancer.

It really is quite frustrating when Helen Keller sets up her LMG in the only doorway in/out of an area.

What kind of question is that? Since when is cheese ever a bad idea?

Hardline is a fun and sometimes silly Cops and Robbers sorta thing and I think that's great. Or it would be if it didn't suck.