Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(10,292)

• "NoctyrneSAGA" started this thread

Date of registration
: Apr 3rd 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Tuesday, October 18th 2016, 12:02pm

BF1 Sniper Rifle Sweetspots and Burn Zone Coverage

One of the more exciting things of Sniper Rifles in BF1 is the OHK Sweetspot for upper chest shots. This allows Sniper Rifles to have better engagement abilities at long range since they are not confined to shooting heads for acceptable lethality.

The best way to exploit this for maximum effectiveness is to position yourself so that your rifle's sweetspot covers the entirety of a flag burn. The map design almost demands that you do this, since there are many flags positioned, oddly enough, within 200m of each other. Some of the flags are even positioned around 120-150m of each other. Or at the very least, good sniper nests on top of one flag often have line of sight to neighboring flags and good burn zone coverage.

A very good example is the M1903 Sniper with its sweetspot from 100-150m. I knew that I was going to be using this rifle from the start and worked pretty hard to unlock it. And almost as if Fate itself demanded it, the map that came up after my purchase was Fao Fortress. On the side that got quick access to the Fortress itself. After capturing the Fortress and settling into the main rampart, I noticed that both Butter and Charlie were pretty much 150m away. That game, I had 34 kills solely from long range Sniper fire which is more than I can say for previous Battlefield titles. Shots that were obviously beyond 150m or well within 100m or if the head was the only exposed target, I would aim at the head. The results were less than stellar except on stationary targets. Out of the 34 kills I got, only one was a moving headshot off of a dude running from George. But for burn zone coverage, I now had the luxury of shooting at chests in addition to heads. I directly attribute my success that match to the sweetspot.

I surmise that as people become more familiar with their preferred rifle's ranges, we'll see the number of valuable Scouts go up. Players do not even need something like the Trench Periscope as a range finder. Flags conveniently provide their range for players that look at them. Players are provided plenty of information for them to situate the flag itself to be in the middle of their sweetspot for starters. Centering the flag in the sweetspot is basic but provides good results already. And as players learn the shape of burn zones and the map's terrain, they can choose directions that provide even better coverage.

Really excited for sniping in Battlefield 1. The sweetspots are given information to the player in-game. Nothing random or arbitrary about that. There's a pattern to sweetspot characteristics. Nothing random or arbitrary about that. Sniper Rifle effectiveness will be heavily based on positioning, a common theme of BF1's weapon design. Really happy DICE went forward with it and cannot wait to see Sniper Rifles pull their weight.
Data Browser

Passive Spotting is the future!

"Skill" may indeed be the most magical of words. Chant it well enough and any desire can be yours.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "NoctyrneSAGA" (Oct 18th 2016, 12:12pm)

Date of registration
: Feb 25th 2012

Battlelog:

Tuesday, October 18th 2016, 12:11pm

M1903 Sniper with its sweetspot from 125-150m

100 to 150 actually.

i think it's safe to say now more than ever that one should always use the same sniper rifle for at least the same map, although i can see how you may want to use the smle over the springfield on some maps.
"I'm just a loot whore."

stuff mostly unrelated to BF4 that interests nobody

bf4
on 13/05/2016
23rd M320FB user on pc(13/05/16)
rush mode score RANK:2794 TOP:2% OUT OF:215398
obliteration mode scoreRANK:994 TOP:1% OUT OF:159466
handgun medals RANK:2236 TOP:2% OUT OF:143874
longest headshot RANK:9512 TOP:4% OUT OF:257589
recon score RANK:10871 TOP:4% OUT OF:274899
general score per minute RANK:10016 TOP:4% OUT OF:294774

bf3
31/3/2012 4:58:

Headshot distance RANK:493* TOP:0%
Revives per assault minute RANK: 6019 TOP: 3%
Headshots / kill percentage RANK:25947 TOP:13%
MVP ribbons RANK:18824 TOP:11%

*= 6 if we not count the EOD BOT headshots

@kataklism

ARGUMENT DESTROYED 100

ENEMY KILLED [REASON] JSLICE20 100

WRITING SPREE STOPPED 500

link to full-size old avatar:
http://i.imgur.com/4X0321O.gif

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(10,292)

• "NoctyrneSAGA" started this thread

Date of registration
: Apr 3rd 2012

Battlelog:

Tuesday, October 18th 2016, 12:13pm

Fixed.

Just means the sweetspot was better than I thought and now I'll be scoring more chest shots.
Data Browser

Passive Spotting is the future!

"Skill" may indeed be the most magical of words. Chant it well enough and any desire can be yours.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

Date of registration
: Sep 7th 2016

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Tuesday, October 18th 2016, 9:25pm

I just had a random thought. Rifles with those sweet spots at further ranges would create a ring with a larger area than rifles with sweet spots that are closer.

marbleduck

Smoked Salmon Best Salmon

(1,514)

Date of registration
: Dec 25th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 13

Tuesday, October 18th 2016, 9:43pm

Yes. The closer the sweet spot, the smaller it is.

Platoon Marble Duck

Hate Mail

"you obviously don't know what an argument is as there is only one person battling. Do you really fucking think I want subs? You think you can act all big and powerful just because you sit on a computer at least 6 hours a day like the probably nerdy unwanted retard you are with 4.3k subs? You think 4.3k subs is a lot? LOL you need medicine man. I don't want any subs as i just have a google account for other media and writing comments. Think twice before you act. You even said in your video you aren't that great of a player, and the comments agree you aren't. Maybe you should once again think twice before you act, stop being such an annoying, ignorant bastard that everyone wants to shut up, and god, literally, just shut up. Your voice gave me a headache :s"

"As a youtuber shouldn't be trying to be reeling in your viewers with exciting stuff being said not your boring ass commentary for your video"

"The more you watch his vid the dumber he gets I swear he's borderline autistic look I got shot behind cover beacuase thin sheets metal are unpenetrable. Bf4 is just as quiet and tactical as bf3 random explosion in the background . Player has dissconected from chat
You started playing bf3 and never touched bfc1/2. Please do yourself a favor and shutdown your generic cod channel down"

"Nice clickb8 Faggot w8ting for your shit tier video to disable comments . Fucking newfag cancer go play some cod you activisiom cock faggot"

"I don't see why he [MarbleDuck] always tries to shit on levelcap he is better and has a million more subs...and also "there isnt a best gun in she game there are guns that are better that others at different engagement distances" yes thats true and whichever is the best/most average at all of them is the "best gun""

"Marbleduck you don't know shit lol levelcap knows more than you do you cant talk about how someone puts up garbage when you do yourself your a newcomer to YouTube acting like you know shit step up in the food chain first then you have the right to talk otherwise your just a fish trying to compete with sharks"

"Why don't we just witness "LevelCap vs MarbleDuck" One on One both on Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4 seen as there is so much Controversy about the Two Youtubers"

"stfu cunt, BF3 was way better end of discussion"

"Stfu man, you're be littleing the most looked upon Battlefield Youtuber. No one cares about you, how much of an ego you have, or quite frankly your opinion. It's a fucking game.... Does it really fucking matter? Pathetic man."

"fuck you asshole, dont talk shit about total"

"Wtf is your problem? You have no subs and he has millions, yet you pick on him like some kind of stubborn, ignorant, rude child born with a silver spoon is his mouth. It's easy to do that, for example... You said there was no background noise yet there is. You say you're a fairly good player, you're not."

"please talk like a normal person and not like a professional"

Date of registration
: Sep 7th 2016

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Tuesday, October 18th 2016, 9:55pm

Your video on spread from last month was very helpful.

Date of registration
: Aug 13th 2015

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 1

Wednesday, October 19th 2016, 3:07am

Sniper Rifle effectiveness will be heavily based on positioning

I'm sorry to rain on your parade, but if sniper rifle effectiveness in BF1 reaches its maximum potential by memorizing a few canned camping areas around flags to hide in while chest shotting enemies then I'd say that DICE has set the bar pretty low for what was previously one of the last bastions of individual player skill in their franchise.

Sniper rifle effectiveness was already heavily based on positioning in addition to situational awareness and aiming ability in previous Battlefield titles. The new model places an unintuitive "no-fun-allowed" damage cap at close range, where shots are actually more difficult to hit while staying alive, while at the same time occasionally rewarding fairly easy shots at medium and "long" range with the OHK chest-shots. Consider the playing field leveled, but I guess that's what you guys asked for.

Nothing random or arbitrary about that. (re:OHK range)

The fact that they spell the sweetspot ranges out for the player just belies the fact that the entire damage model is actually more arbitrary than ever.

marbleduck

Smoked Salmon Best Salmon

(1,514)

Date of registration
: Dec 25th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 13

Wednesday, October 19th 2016, 3:22am

As I expected, lots of scrubs whining about relevant BASRs.

Last I checked, you still actually have to hit your target. Except now, BASRs are actually competitively viable as ranged weapons rather than as joke ghetto shotguns Incarnate uses because the shotties are banned in competitive.

If you want to get CQC kills, get headshots, nob.

Platoon Marble Duck

Hate Mail

"you obviously don't know what an argument is as there is only one person battling. Do you really fucking think I want subs? You think you can act all big and powerful just because you sit on a computer at least 6 hours a day like the probably nerdy unwanted retard you are with 4.3k subs? You think 4.3k subs is a lot? LOL you need medicine man. I don't want any subs as i just have a google account for other media and writing comments. Think twice before you act. You even said in your video you aren't that great of a player, and the comments agree you aren't. Maybe you should once again think twice before you act, stop being such an annoying, ignorant bastard that everyone wants to shut up, and god, literally, just shut up. Your voice gave me a headache :s"

"As a youtuber shouldn't be trying to be reeling in your viewers with exciting stuff being said not your boring ass commentary for your video"

"The more you watch his vid the dumber he gets I swear he's borderline autistic look I got shot behind cover beacuase thin sheets metal are unpenetrable. Bf4 is just as quiet and tactical as bf3 random explosion in the background . Player has dissconected from chat
You started playing bf3 and never touched bfc1/2. Please do yourself a favor and shutdown your generic cod channel down"

"Nice clickb8 Faggot w8ting for your shit tier video to disable comments . Fucking newfag cancer go play some cod you activisiom cock faggot"

"I don't see why he [MarbleDuck] always tries to shit on levelcap he is better and has a million more subs...and also "there isnt a best gun in she game there are guns that are better that others at different engagement distances" yes thats true and whichever is the best/most average at all of them is the "best gun""

"Marbleduck you don't know shit lol levelcap knows more than you do you cant talk about how someone puts up garbage when you do yourself your a newcomer to YouTube acting like you know shit step up in the food chain first then you have the right to talk otherwise your just a fish trying to compete with sharks"

"Why don't we just witness "LevelCap vs MarbleDuck" One on One both on Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4 seen as there is so much Controversy about the Two Youtubers"

"stfu cunt, BF3 was way better end of discussion"

"Stfu man, you're be littleing the most looked upon Battlefield Youtuber. No one cares about you, how much of an ego you have, or quite frankly your opinion. It's a fucking game.... Does it really fucking matter? Pathetic man."

"fuck you asshole, dont talk shit about total"

"Wtf is your problem? You have no subs and he has millions, yet you pick on him like some kind of stubborn, ignorant, rude child born with a silver spoon is his mouth. It's easy to do that, for example... You said there was no background noise yet there is. You say you're a fairly good player, you're not."

"please talk like a normal person and not like a professional"

Date of registration
: Aug 13th 2015

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 1

Wednesday, October 19th 2016, 3:55am

As I expected, lots of scrubs whining about relevant BASRs.

The only scrubs whining were (and are) the ones that couldn't figure out how to stay alive against the 10 or 11 guys in the entire BF scene that were good enough to make CQC sniping "viable" as a joke in pubs or the people that somehow thought that landing 2 consecutive bodyshots with a BASR at ranges near an objective was difficult in BF4. For as much as you have railed against "ghetto shotgun" usage in BF4, it absolutely wasn't something that would be witnessed in-game on a routine basis. 99.9% of people that have ever tried it have done so for a grand total of 15 minutes, realized that it was too difficult for them to master, and then fucked off to do something else.

Last I checked, you still actually have to hit your target.

Landing a single chest shot at 100m is not difficult for anyone, let alone skilled players. Be prepared for middling 25-30% BF4 BASR accuracy players to be racking up huge scores because they happened to land some upper chest hitbox shots one round.

If you want to get CQC kills, get headshots, nob.

Sounds like a plan.

Date of registration
: Feb 25th 2012

Battlelog:

Wednesday, October 19th 2016, 4:03am

i'll keep it short: you're right about cqb sniper rifles, but wrong about the new balance.

i admit it was really fun to play in bf3 and bc2 with the sniper rifles at short range, but you can do the same in bf4 with grenade launchers, and in bf1, the new balance makes it so that every weapon is 100% locked to a certain role and being effective at it, which is good when you don't have a lot of customization.
also no, getting 2 shots with an sr in bf4 might have been easy at times, but the problem is that you needed 2 shots(no less than about 1.5 seconds ttk) in a game where prety much half the weapons can kill you at that range(which is why i always played at very very long ranges with sniper rifles in battlefield)
"I'm just a loot whore."

stuff mostly unrelated to BF4 that interests nobody

bf4
on 13/05/2016
23rd M320FB user on pc(13/05/16)
rush mode score RANK:2794 TOP:2% OUT OF:215398
obliteration mode scoreRANK:994 TOP:1% OUT OF:159466
handgun medals RANK:2236 TOP:2% OUT OF:143874
longest headshot RANK:9512 TOP:4% OUT OF:257589
recon score RANK:10871 TOP:4% OUT OF:274899
general score per minute RANK:10016 TOP:4% OUT OF:294774

bf3