Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Date of registration
: Mar 19th 2014

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 16

Wednesday, June 22nd 2016, 7:20am

I've seen many unique and imaginative attempts to have snipers which can play long-range support roles. I have seen zero of them actually work.

It seems like actually making them good at ranges they should be good at, and not good at ranges they shouldn't be good at is working out pretty well so far. We'll have to wait for the closed Alpha to see proper gameplay where people are actually playing properly and know what they're doing though, for sniping as well as most other stuff.
Who Enjoys, Wins

Nick 30075

2manyPosts4me

(1,936)

Date of registration
: Jan 7th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Wednesday, June 22nd 2016, 7:31am

I've seen many unique and imaginative attempts to have snipers which can play long-range support roles. I have seen zero of them actually work.

It seems like actually making them good at ranges they should be good at, and not good at ranges they shouldn't be good at is working out pretty well so far. We'll have to wait for the closed Alpha to see proper gameplay where people are actually playing properly and know what they're doing though, for sniping as well as most other stuff.

Alpha testers probably know in general what an "objective" is. I'd say that puts them in the upper 30% of Battlefield players. I think you're being far too optimistic. "Good at sniping" means people will play the class at all and I have yet to see a game in which snipers are forces for good for teamplay.

Maybe BF1 will do it. Maybe it will pull off the impossible. I'm a little too pragmatic to get my hopes up. As I see it, there does not currently exist a way to do snipers right that is not either (a) unfun to play against or (b) actually good for teamplay. In terms of recent games, Overwatch has shown this pretty damn well, Widowmaker has already been nerfed (and lots of people want her nerfed even further) and 3/4 of Hanzo players rarely use their sonar arrows.
Emperor Nick of the Cult of Defibrillation
Sith Deity of Thread-Killing

I'm basically just a degenerate weeb who doesn't post much nowadays.

I'm secretly Old Man Symthic

Siggy thingies

Gaming Stuff

Words of Wisdom (not really)

Quoted from "Blue Panda"

You're fedorable :love:

Quoted from "ToTheSun!"

I have the highest postcount. Nick doesn't count.

Quoted

23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm -
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Okay
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: I'm stabbing everyone
23:44 Lt_Col_Jesus: Bye guys
23:44 Nick: *flips table*
23:44 Legion: Bye, happy stabbing
23:44 *** Lt_Col_Jesus quit (Quit: off to murder the public at large).

Quoted

10:41 LB: You just...reanimated Steve Jobs.
10:41 Dice: Well that would be unfortunate, I was just getting used to him being dead.

Quoted from "Pheozero"

... fuck. Damn you hindsight!

Quoted

23:58 Failure117: CAUSE IM FREEE
23:58 Nick: AS A BIIIIRD NOW
23:58 Failure117: FREEE OF NICK'S WORM RAPE

Quoted

ViperFTW: HEY LOOK
ViperFTW: AN ALIEN LASER FISH THE SIZE OF THE SUN
ViperFTW: I WANT TO SWAT IT WITH MY COMICLY LARGE SWORD
ViperFTW: WITH
ViperFTW: THIS
ViperFTW: AS
ViperFTW: MY
ViperFTW: FUUUUCKING SOUNDTRACK :DDDD
(the album in question)

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Nick 30075" (Jun 22nd 2016, 7:41am)

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(10,092)

Date of registration
: Apr 3rd 2012

Battlelog:

Wednesday, June 22nd 2016, 7:38am

Maybe DICE could actually label their axes when showing the damage and bullet-drop graphs.

Then people would see "Oh, it does 100% damage between X and Y!"

Makes it much more obvious which rifle they should use and where.
Data Browser

Passive Spotting is the future!

"Skill" may indeed be the most magical of words. Chant it well enough and any desire can be yours.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies.

Date of registration
: Feb 25th 2012

Battlelog:

Wednesday, June 22nd 2016, 8:09am

If someone can't figure this out they're not someone worth considering in gameplay/balance discussions.

i would dare say that is the same for people who can't customize a gun optimally if they want so, but that's just my opinion as to why i want as much customizationas possible(although to be honest, if everything was just cosmetic in bf4 i'd be fine with that too, i just like gun customization in general except for camos(most times)
"I'm just a loot whore."

stuff mostly unrelated to BF4 that interests nobody

bf4
on 13/05/2016
23rd M320FB user on pc(13/05/16)
rush mode score RANK:2794 TOP:2% OUT OF:215398
obliteration mode scoreRANK:994 TOP:1% OUT OF:159466
handgun medals RANK:2236 TOP:2% OUT OF:143874
longest headshot RANK:9512 TOP:4% OUT OF:257589
recon score RANK:10871 TOP:4% OUT OF:274899
general score per minute RANK:10016 TOP:4% OUT OF:294774

bf3
31/3/2012 4:58:

Headshot distance RANK:493* TOP:0%
Revives per assault minute RANK: 6019 TOP: 3%
Headshots / kill percentage RANK:25947 TOP:13%
MVP ribbons RANK:18824 TOP:11%

*= 6 if we not count the EOD BOT headshots

@kataklism

ARGUMENT DESTROYED 100

ENEMY KILLED [REASON] JSLICE20 100

WRITING SPREE STOPPED 500

link to full-size old avatar:
http://i.imgur.com/4X0321O.gif

Date of registration
: Feb 19th 2014

Platform: 360

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 3

Wednesday, June 22nd 2016, 8:41am

i still won't preorder until i see gun customization though.

Ideally it's much simpler, without the infinite amount of terrible attachment combinations and such that BF4 had. Less options, less redundancy, and more specializing means more effective weapons overall. And significantly more effective blueberries.

It all sounds incredible except for one thing: ranged OHK snipers?

It's not the reverse damage model, it's the sweet-spot model, which means BAs are 2HK, then become 1HK within a certain range, then drop down to 2HK again. It varies from rifle to rifle, but seems to be roughly 80-150m on average. Longer range than that will be heavily discouraged by this, especially with bullets having drag now.

I must say that this sweet spot damage model sounds incredibly familiar to a bell curve style of damage model that I had brought up in a thread from waaaaaaaay back in the heat of bf4's popularity

BOOM found it on this page

Reversing Sniper Damage Model
In modern USA, the Pig roasts you!

Who loves a good ole custom chainsaw!

Spoiler Spoiler

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Gummybear" (Jun 22nd 2016, 8:46am)

Wednesday, June 22nd 2016, 11:21am

I want to know what's up with sidearms.

If the game has bolt actions that will essentially get you killed outside of their sweet spot, scout class better get a really good pistol, or it's going to be another useless recon class that is easily defeated by closing the gap.... But if sidearms are all-class, that makes OP sidearms for everyone else.

I mean, the new model has a lot of potential. It will prevent long range camping, encourage mid-range support of teammates on the objective, provides points (in lieu of capture points) for headshots.... But what about close range?

It's easy to avoid long range engagements (take cover.)
It's easy to force close range engagements (use that cover to move closer)
Avoiding close range engagement essentially means running away.

Is the scout class intended to be the class that runs away from a fight?

I guess what I'm saying is that I see how they seem to intend the class to be used... but what is the intended counter for rushing players with CQB weapons?

Date of registration
: Dec 14th 2014

Platform: PS3

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 8

Wednesday, June 22nd 2016, 12:36pm

Similar to CSGO ?

Idk if I like that.
still playin' Motorstorm

Date of registration
: Jun 23rd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 12

Wednesday, June 22nd 2016, 12:38pm

I kinda thought CS(:GO) only had spread when moving and all other "deviation from crosshair" was its really weird implementation of recoil that is 100% counterable?

Btw: is the spread FSM only applicable while ADS or does it also affect hipfire?
Zormau - Battlelog / Battlefield 4

Memorable quotes not taken yet:

Of course, this ignores the non-constant cross-sectional first moment of area across the chest as well as non-constant material properties of the boob; it would be difficult to perform a more detailed analysis (as in, I'd have to have a shape function AND I'd need to derive a function for elastic modulus as a function of lateral breast coordinate) but whatever. It's 2am and I'm lazy.

I always believed science should be very hands on experience.

You should also answer this question I had posed in that thread: Would you be willing to pay your surgeon more if he was going to use a chainsaw for the opening incision of surgery? Clearly using a chainsaw isn't truly suited for surgery but that doesn't really matter. If he's "skilled" enough to be able to use the wrong tools of the trade, he should be rewarded for that skill right?

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Zormau" (Jun 22nd 2016, 12:46pm)

marbleduck

Smoked Salmon Best Salmon

(1,514)

• "marbleduck" started this thread

Date of registration
: Dec 25th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 13

Wednesday, June 22nd 2016, 3:04pm

I kinda thought CS(:GO) only had spread when moving and all other "deviation from crosshair" was its really weird implementation of recoil that is 100% counterable?

Btw: is the spread FSM only applicable while ADS or does it also affect hipfire?

Weapons of CSGO have both base spread and spread increase. This base spread is different from weapon to weapon (AK is worse than the M4, etc), and there is spread increase. After the first, spread jumps to shit, but it doesn't change much after that. Hence, either 1rb or magdump.

Platoon Marble Duck

Hate Mail

"you obviously don't know what an argument is as there is only one person battling. Do you really fucking think I want subs? You think you can act all big and powerful just because you sit on a computer at least 6 hours a day like the probably nerdy unwanted retard you are with 4.3k subs? You think 4.3k subs is a lot? LOL you need medicine man. I don't want any subs as i just have a google account for other media and writing comments. Think twice before you act. You even said in your video you aren't that great of a player, and the comments agree you aren't. Maybe you should once again think twice before you act, stop being such an annoying, ignorant bastard that everyone wants to shut up, and god, literally, just shut up. Your voice gave me a headache :s"

"As a youtuber shouldn't be trying to be reeling in your viewers with exciting stuff being said not your boring ass commentary for your video"

"The more you watch his vid the dumber he gets I swear he's borderline autistic look I got shot behind cover beacuase thin sheets metal are unpenetrable. Bf4 is just as quiet and tactical as bf3 random explosion in the background . Player has dissconected from chat
You started playing bf3 and never touched bfc1/2. Please do yourself a favor and shutdown your generic cod channel down"

"Nice clickb8 Faggot w8ting for your shit tier video to disable comments . Fucking newfag cancer go play some cod you activisiom cock faggot"

"I don't see why he [MarbleDuck] always tries to shit on levelcap he is better and has a million more subs...and also "there isnt a best gun in she game there are guns that are better that others at different engagement distances" yes thats true and whichever is the best/most average at all of them is the "best gun""

"Marbleduck you don't know shit lol levelcap knows more than you do you cant talk about how someone puts up garbage when you do yourself your a newcomer to YouTube acting like you know shit step up in the food chain first then you have the right to talk otherwise your just a fish trying to compete with sharks"

"Why don't we just witness "LevelCap vs MarbleDuck" One on One both on Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4 seen as there is so much Controversy about the Two Youtubers"

"stfu cunt, BF3 was way better end of discussion"

"Stfu man, you're be littleing the most looked upon Battlefield Youtuber. No one cares about you, how much of an ego you have, or quite frankly your opinion. It's a fucking game.... Does it really fucking matter? Pathetic man."

"fuck you asshole, dont talk shit about total"

"Wtf is your problem? You have no subs and he has millions, yet you pick on him like some kind of stubborn, ignorant, rude child born with a silver spoon is his mouth. It's easy to do that, for example... You said there was no background noise yet there is. You say you're a fairly good player, you're not."

"please talk like a normal person and not like a professional"

Date of registration
: Jan 8th 2016

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 5

Wednesday, June 22nd 2016, 5:28pm

Alpha testers probably know in general what an "objective" is. I'd say that puts them in the upper 30% of Battlefield players.

Kinda hard to argue with Nick here. Obviously DICE will always feel reluctant to pull sniper's profession out of their main franchise even when considering how harmful some of them (ok, most of them) are to the concept of team play. It's just that it will be a different game, less rich, if they, however, decide to do so. But yes, I agree that this "new" sweet spot mechanic will attract more users to the class, it will get some minor getting-used-to, but in the end, having the ability to OHK is very appealing, when all you need to have is the appropriate range. Which, in turn, puts them slightly away from the action by default; whether it is going to be a good thing remains to be seen. If only there would be a restriction on the amount of snipers inside a squad, that would be swell. I hear one of the Bad Company games of the past had this limit in place and people who played it speak highly of this little concept.

Thumbs up for mr. Duck's new video. High quality stuff, man, my respects.