Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Date of registration
: Apr 2nd 2013

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Friday, June 24th 2016, 8:52am

Apparently the Russians had a ton of Winchester 1894s built to take Mosin-Nagant stripper clips and fire the russian caliber round during WW1, and several other countries used Winchester's in rear echelon roles to free up other rifles for the front lines. The Americans had plenty of Colt and Smith and Wesson revolvers in use as service pistols too. So you might get your wish

Edit: Actually we already have gameplay with that Russian Winchester: Russian 1895

I knew about the Russian 1895 from gameplay footage. I also vaguely recognized it as 1894ish based on how it looked, so I could potentially close my eyes and pretend real hard that its a cowboy gun.

I would rather prefer the tube clip for the authentic feel. It would also be cool as an All kit weapon if it worked like BF3 shotguns with slugs.

Date of registration
: Jun 23rd 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 11

Friday, June 24th 2016, 12:44pm

Tube magazines don't work with WW-era military rifle ammo due to pointed bullets. That's also one of the prime reasons why lever-action rifles weren't largely adopted by any military. The Winchester 1895 came a bit too late.

I'm really looking forward to playing with the ultra-fast cycling bolt action. Also looks like this one has a variant that does "ghetto shotgun" damage but drops further than the other rifles in terms of damage. May be 48 end damage but still a 2.13 headshot multiplier so it can OHSK but not kill in two bodyshots at long range.
Zormau - Battlelog / Battlefield 4

Memorable quotes not taken yet:

Of course, this ignores the non-constant cross-sectional first moment of area across the chest as well as non-constant material properties of the boob; it would be difficult to perform a more detailed analysis (as in, I'd have to have a shape function AND I'd need to derive a function for elastic modulus as a function of lateral breast coordinate) but whatever. It's 2am and I'm lazy.

I always believed science should be very hands on experience.

You should also answer this question I had posed in that thread: Would you be willing to pay your surgeon more if he was going to use a chainsaw for the opening incision of surgery? Clearly using a chainsaw isn't truly suited for surgery but that doesn't really matter. If he's "skilled" enough to be able to use the wrong tools of the trade, he should be rewarded for that skill right?

Date of registration
: Apr 2nd 2013

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 7

Friday, June 24th 2016, 5:17pm

AFAIK no military in the world uses Bows anymore as a frontline combat weapon, yet that didn't stop BF4. There's also the silliness of some of the hardline weapons like the 1903 and M1 carbine.

If anything a lever action 30-30 Winchester carbine is less of a stretch than any of those. Who wouldn't want the primary weapon variant of the BF4 Mare's Leg?

• "Veritable" started this thread

Date of registration
: Dec 8th 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 12

Friday, June 24th 2016, 6:00pm

Edit: Actually we already have gameplay with that Russian Winchester: Russian 1895

Already listed in the original post. The linked YouTube video from Forgotten Weapons goes into quite good detail as to why the Russians got Winchester to make them (they ordered Mosin-Nagants from Remington [!?!?!?] but wasn't coming fast enough), why it is internal box magazine loading from Mosin-Nagant stripper clips instead of tube (if you load Spitzer bullets into tube magazine, tip-to-end, shock of recoil might set off the round in front), why lever action is actually a bad idea for the conditions of WW1 (when you break open the action all parts are exposed for crap to get into, definitely not good for muddy trenches), and how many of these are out there and where they ended up.

It's an interesting piece of history that I would not have known about without it being in BF1, that's for sure.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Friday, June 24th 2016, 6:07pm

why lever action is actually a bad idea for the conditions of WW1 (when you break open the action all parts are exposed for crap to get into, definitely not good for muddy trenches)

Every gun is fucked if the action gets clogged up.

Mud test: The WW1 Winchester 1895 - YouTube

Mud Test: The WW1 & WW2 Mosin-Nagant - YouTube

Fun one: WW1: Desperate Measures - YouTube

Of course, this ignores the non-constant cross-sectional first moment of area across the chest as well as non-constant material properties of the boob; it would be difficult to perform a more detailed analysis (as in, I'd have to have a shape function AND I'd need to derive a function for elastic modulus as a function of lateral breast coordinate) but whatever. It's 2am and I'm lazy.

You should also answer this question I had posed in that thread: Would you be willing to pay your surgeon more if he was going to use a chainsaw for the opening incision of surgery? Clearly using a chainsaw isn't truly suited for surgery but that doesn't really matter. If he's "skilled" enough to be able to use the wrong tools of the trade, he should be rewarded for that skill right?

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Friday, June 24th 2016, 7:23pm

Every gun is fucked if the action gets clogged up.

But compared to Bolt Action, only Lever Action actively shoves the important bits OUT of the protective body of the gun, not just exposing them but also actively jamming them into things that you don't want them to touch.

Finally, Lever Action is harder to operate while prone, which was not something armies thought about doing on a regular basis until ~WW1. Actually, I'd say it is "impossible" without breaking your aim. You wouldn't be doing the Mad Minute with it in the prone position, that's for sure.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Friday, June 24th 2016, 8:24pm

Lever action while prone doesn't seem too hard to me. Prone Shooting the Winchester 1895 Lever Action Rifle WWI - YouTube Lever Action Vs Bolt Action Prone Rate of Fire - YouTube

In military caliber both rifles will likely break aim while cycling. Mosin Mad Minute Challenge - YouTube Mad Minute - YouTube

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Friday, June 24th 2016, 8:51pm

@Zormau

You don't need to convince me 8) Instead, it was your own German Rifle Commission who decided to not bother with Lever Action and instead going to Bolt-Action + Internal Box Magazine with the Gewehr 1888 (C&Rsenal), in order to counter the French who went with Bolt-Action + Tube Magazine + Primer Cover + Primer Cup with their Lebel Model 1886 (C&Rsenal).

Whatever their reasons, it has been what it was. The rest, as they say, is "history" :P

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Friday, June 24th 2016, 9:09pm

Lemme tell you the 1888 is actually an absolutely beautiful gun. A friend of mine has a few deactivated (i.e. rendered unable to fire) original WW2 guns that they discovered in field and forest (so called "Bodenfund"). A K98, a Gewehr 88 and something like a variant on the Gewehr 43 that I've not been able to identify properly.

He loves the K98 most, but I find the action of the G88 to be silky smooth and more comfortable, despite the straight bolt handle.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Saturday, June 25th 2016, 7:37pm

You missed the Luger P08.

Did not see any footage of the P08 being actually used in the E3 demo until now. I think all the German snipers were having too much fun with the scoped G98 :P while others were happy with the 1911. Added now.

Probably the most important part of the P08 story is the development of the 9mm Parabellum bullet, which is why the C&Rsenal episode is so long. Worth watching the whole thing, though!