Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

Date of registration
: Feb 25th 2012

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Saturday, May 21st 2016, 9:50pm

If they are so far away that you can't see them on your mini map when zoomed out completly then they are no threat to you.

there are 2 major flaws with this:
1:limiting your range of effectiveness to 75/150 meters(never understood i the range on the minimap refer to total area on the map or distance from my "arrow" to any of the 4 sides) implies that bolt action rifles,rockets and maybe even dmrs and bipodded lmgs are not part of the game. which is totally false.
2:just because they -maybe- aren't a threat to you, it doesn't mean you can't make use of that information, by knowing where an enemy is at a specific time, you have info on how to move on the map, rather than just going straight for the objective with the shortest road possible.

and anyway full map is bugged(?) it doesn't show all the infos that the minimap gives, afaik, it gives only full spots and teammates actions on it. neither passive spots nor gunfire spots.
"I'm just a loot whore."

stuff mostly unrelated to BF4 that interests nobody

bf4
on 13/05/2016
23rd M320FB user on pc(13/05/16)
rush mode score RANK:2794 TOP:2% OUT OF:215398
obliteration mode scoreRANK:994 TOP:1% OUT OF:159466
handgun medals RANK:2236 TOP:2% OUT OF:143874
longest headshot RANK:9512 TOP:4% OUT OF:257589
recon score RANK:10871 TOP:4% OUT OF:274899
general score per minute RANK:10016 TOP:4% OUT OF:294774

bf3
31/3/2012 4:58:

Headshot distance RANK:493* TOP:0%
Revives per assault minute RANK: 6019 TOP: 3%
Headshots / kill percentage RANK:25947 TOP:13%
MVP ribbons RANK:18824 TOP:11%

*= 6 if we not count the EOD BOT headshots

@kataklism

ARGUMENT DESTROYED 100

ENEMY KILLED [REASON] JSLICE20 100

WRITING SPREE STOPPED 500

link to full-size old avatar:
http://i.imgur.com/4X0321O.gif

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "iota-09" (May 21st 2016, 10:05pm)

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(9,343)

Date of registration
: Apr 3rd 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 18

Saturday, May 21st 2016, 10:00pm

I'll also mention that AFAIK, "ShowNameTag" is not the same as 3D Spotting.
Data Browser

Passive Spotting is the future!

With this, I'll rid MGO3 of infestation. Sans bad gameplay MGO3 will be torn asunder. And then it shall be free. People will suffer, of course - a phantom pain.

Reddit and Konami will rewrite the records... And I will be demonized in human memory. But... The thirst for good gameplay that I have planted will infest MGO3. No one can stop it now. The Rebalance Mod will unleash that thirst unto the future.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

• "potetr" started this thread

Date of registration
: Jun 5th 2015

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 6

Saturday, May 21st 2016, 10:24pm

Passive Spotting is the future.

The Oracle has spoken!

I'll also mention that AFAIK, "ShowNameTag" is not the same as 3D Spotting.

Luckily, it doesn't have be. ShowNameTag only needs to be linked with shooting as well. (Hope I don't come off as too "making bf4 is ez")

So to clarify this part, I would like to see passive 3D spotting gone, and nametag/healthbar only visible when shooting and looking at an enemy within the same distance as it is set to now.

signature 2.1

Things I support
ammo regen pls

Quoted from "NoctyrneSAGA"

_____

When I play with it [Autoloading 8] I feel like I am batman taking out 1 after 1 baddie while they feel helpless and don't know who is talking out their mates.
Remove 3D spotting. It’s a mechanic that rewards bad eyesight.
Wanna help your team by sneaking through enemy territory to provide spawns? THIS IS NOT TEAMWORK FGT I HOPE YOU RUN OUT OF MOTION BALLS TOO EARLY TO BE SUCCESSFUL
Wanna be Javelin squad but only have two guys? BETTER NOT GET YOUR SOFLAM KILLED FGT THIS IS NOT TEAMWORK WITHOUT A SUPPORT DUDE DROPPING AMMO ON YOU EVERY 2 MINUTES
Please post your best M1916 clips Magazines *fixed*.

Cool/Useful Links

What Makes the Best Player?
David Sirlin on Intuition
Archive - Wait But Why - I recommend the posts on AI, and Neuralink, in that order. They are long, but very interesting. Just skim parts of them.

Symthic Databrowser
Battlefield 1 DeployTimes

DICE pls (Feedback and ideas)

Squadmate Healthbars in the HUD
Minor console QoL improvements
Ping Tool idea
"Wants to talk" tag for squad menu
Adding Suppression Confirmation
Spotting improvements
Why the scoring system should be replaced + Suggestion for a reworked scoring system

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(9,343)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Saturday, May 21st 2016, 11:21pm

But what if Passive spotting was the only way to achieve a 3D spot? Think about it.
Data Browser

With this, I'll rid MGO3 of infestation. Sans bad gameplay MGO3 will be torn asunder. And then it shall be free. People will suffer, of course - a phantom pain.

Reddit and Konami will rewrite the records... And I will be demonized in human memory. But... The thirst for good gameplay that I have planted will infest MGO3. No one can stop it now. The Rebalance Mod will unleash that thirst unto the future.

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

Sunday, May 22nd 2016, 4:09am

Passive spotting is good because blueberries are too stupid to press Q/RB/R1

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Tuesday, May 24th 2016, 8:18pm

But what if Passive spotting was the only way to achieve a 3D spot? Think about it.

I have thought about it, and I must say I'm not too enthusiastic about it.

As there are probably some things I haven't considered, I'd like to hear your thoughts behind it

signature 2.1

Things I support
ammo regen pls

_____

When I play with it [Autoloading 8] I feel like I am batman taking out 1 after 1 baddie while they feel helpless and don't know who is talking out their mates.
Wanna help your team by sneaking through enemy territory to provide spawns? THIS IS NOT TEAMWORK FGT I HOPE YOU RUN OUT OF MOTION BALLS TOO EARLY TO BE SUCCESSFUL
Wanna be Javelin squad but only have two guys? BETTER NOT GET YOUR SOFLAM KILLED FGT THIS IS NOT TEAMWORK WITHOUT A SUPPORT DUDE DROPPING AMMO ON YOU EVERY 2 MINUTES

Cool/Useful Links

Archive - Wait But Why - I recommend the posts on AI, and Neuralink, in that order. They are long, but very interesting. Just skim parts of them.

Symthic Databrowser

Ping Tool idea
Spotting improvements
Why the scoring system should be replaced + Suggestion for a reworked scoring system

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(9,343)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Tuesday, May 24th 2016, 8:50pm

Passive Spotting happens on a delay.

Only after holding your crosshair on target for 1 second will a 3D spot icon appear. Until then, you have to track the target as it moves around, meaning that for the most part you had to be aware of what you're looking at. Not only that, but 3D spots will occur as a natural part of the engagement. It pretty much happens with the way things are now, only you have an additional button to press before/while you fire.

Compare this to the current system where all you have to do is mash Q.

If Passive Spotting was the only way to achieve 3D spots, we actually solve a few problems:
  • mashing Q to test if a target is there
  • omit needless clicks: a lot of people press Q before every engagement. Might as well do something to automate the process.
  • tigge expressed interest in a map ping or waypoint system but there was a question about what button to map it to. Automating 3D spots frees up a button.

A while back I arranged my thoughts on a few google slides and here they are.

MGSV and its multiplayer component (Metal Gear Online 3) are actually the source of inspiration for this. They also have 3D spotting (and a much more powerful system at that). How do they place 3D Spots? By tracking the target for the requisite amount of time.

This is why we should pay attention to how other games do things. Whether or not their implementation is horrible, they oftentimes provide new insights in how to improve your own systems.

People who keep asking for the removal of Passive Spotting don't realize just how much better it is than mashing Q.

They simply dismiss it because some dude decided to make a video talking about how bad it is without giving a thought about why it might actually be good.

Data Browser

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "NoctyrneSAGA" (May 24th 2016, 8:59pm)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, May 25th 2016, 12:07am

@NoctyrneSAGA

Way to kill the spotting skill gap.

Kidding aside, brilliant idea.

I never knew passive spot had such a "long" activation.

0.15 degree cone, 1 sec activation time means anyone within 764m can walk past your sight without being spotted (assuming the spotee walks perpendicular to your sightline) and if one sprints, the spotter must track to achieve a spot all the way out to 1146m, where the cone turns to >6m across (sprint speed=6m/s, walk=4m/s). Factoring in that sitting with a stationary scope like that is unlikely, we've got few scenarios where unintended spotting is going to find someone for you. More importantly, fewer than at the moment.

Scanning the horizon slowly would work, but I can only see this being used to find snipers. Maybe prone/crouched players could get a slightly longer activation time?

I think the adapted fade towards center idea has value still, what do you think of that? I think the ideas combined would make spotting as good as it can be!

All in all, 9.5/10, not enough pictures on presentation.

signature 2.1

Things I support
ammo regen pls

_____

Cool/Useful Links

Symthic Databrowser

Ping Tool idea
Spotting improvements

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "potetr" (May 25th 2016, 12:16am)

NoctyrneSAGA

PvF 2017 Champion

(9,343)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Wednesday, May 25th 2016, 12:16am

I think the adapted fade towards center idea has value still, what do you think of that?

There would be no point in guiding your teammate's aim if the icon disappeared as you brought it closer to the middle.

With the system outlined before, there'd be no way of knowing when a Spot has been achieved if an icon doesn't show up.

Players keep complaining about 3D spot taking the skill out of aiming, but it is a teamplay mechanic just like healing.

The effort was spent by a teammate. The rest of their teammates get to reap the reward as well.
Data Browser

Are you a scrub?

If it flies, it dies™.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Thursday, May 26th 2016, 12:25am

There would be no point in guiding your teammate's aim if the icon disappeared as you brought it closer to the middle.

It's still useful for showing were the enemy is.

With the system outlined before, there'd be no way of knowing when a Spot has been achieved if an icon doesn't show up.

True, an icon (like a different shaped hitmarker) or text would be needed as a notification.

Players keep complaining about 3D spot taking the skill out of aiming, but it is a teamplay mechanic just like healing.

That's not why I want it gone. More for immersion purposes and the benefits outlined in the OP (visual cover mattering, smoke gets more "fixed"(though smoke does need a fix on its own), Q spamming (or now "horizon scanning") becomes even less effective).

signature 2.1

Things I support
ammo regen pls

_____

Cool/Useful Links

Symthic Databrowser

Ping Tool idea
Spotting improvements