Welcome to symthic forums! We would love if you'd register!
You don't have to be expert in bit baking, everyone is more than welcome to join our community.

You are not logged in.

Hey! If this is your first visit on symthic.com, also check out our weapon damage charts.
Currently we have charts for Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3

VincentNZ

Holy War? No Thanks.

(2,282)

Date of registration
: Jul 25th 2013

Platform: PC

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 15

Monday, May 9th 2016, 10:40am

I still do not buy semi-automatic rifles. Even by the end of the war they were rare and only used in any significant number in the french army, with underwhelming results. Many armies did not have anything comparable even decades later. Other semi-automatic rifles were mainly used in aircraft, as a board weapon by the way, but became obsolete with the adoption of machine guns naturally. Standard trench weapons were bolt-action rifles.

• "Jais" started this thread

Date of registration
: Sep 3rd 2013

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 9

Monday, May 9th 2016, 2:05pm

I still do not buy semi-automatic rifles. Even by the end of the war they were rare and only used in any significant number in the french army, with underwhelming results. Many armies did not have anything comparable even decades later. Other semi-automatic rifles were mainly used in aircraft, as a board weapon by the way, but became obsolete with the adoption of machine guns naturally. Standard trench weapons were bolt-action rifles.
Eh, it's the same deal in BF4. You have half the team running around with sniper rifles, prototype or extremely rare weapons like the PDW-R, AN-94 and so on. On top of this, firefights in BF4 consists of full-auto hosing, whereas in actual modern warfare it's 90% semi-automatic, with only LMGs dishing out automatic bursts. You don't see people complain about this, except the hardcore milsim crowd, and they have already moved on to other games.

Perhaps in BF1 they'll make bolt actions an all-class weapon as a nod to authenticity, with the Scout class being able to equip scopes on them. But even if not, it sounds like half the classes will use semi-automatic weapons or slower, which is fine by me. Battlefield has always been a cartoon representation of war anyway.

VincentNZ

Holy War? No Thanks.

(2,282)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Monday, May 9th 2016, 3:01pm

Eh, it's the same deal in BF4. You have half the team running around with sniper rifles, prototype or extremely rare weapons like the PDW-R, AN-94 and so on. On top of this, firefights in BF4 consists of full-auto hosing, whereas in actual modern warfare it's 90% semi-automatic, with only LMGs dishing out automatic bursts. You don't see people complain about this, except the hardcore milsim crowd, and they have already moved on to other games.

Perhaps in BF1 they'll make bolt actions an all-class weapon as a nod to authenticity, with the Scout class being able to equip scopes on them. But even if not, it sounds like half the classes will use semi-automatic weapons or slower, which is fine by me. Battlefield has always been a cartoon representation of war anyway.

By the time developed many weapons were still in test and production phase, as BF3 and 4 have settings around 2020 it would have been possible to have them introduced or re-introduced, but you are generally right of course.

I do not know how far free weapon choice goes for special forces but I am pretty sure that there are more US marines wielding an F2000 than there were german soldiers in the trenches running around with Mondragon rifles. They just proved useless. Actually I would like to see them, as I am a full-auto user, the faster, the easier for me to hit. I can not hit the broad side of a barn with a bolt-action and my DMR accuracy is not that much to justify it's use over an AR in BF4. I would actually like more MPs and LMGs or even DMR-type weapons I do not think this would be authentic though. Lee-Enfields as looted weapons though I can live with that.

I still wonder where you got the information about the weapons the classes use. I did read about medics being issued with MPs which I find not particularly well suited, and LMGs for support, I reckon that the scouts will get scopes on bolt-action rifles. So I really wondered what's left for Assault apart from shotguns.

On another topic though: I have also read through a leaked achievement list that there will be "War bonds" which was listed as buying a primary weapon in multiplayer. Basically similar to the Hardline system. TO be honest I thought it did fit the Hardline theme, but I would not want it in BF1.

This brings me to possible weapon balance:
In WW1 basically every army and many weapons used many different calibres instead of BF4 which had two basic calibres per faction weapon, which did the same amount of damage regardless. Like 5.56mm doing the same as 5.45mm. There were some other calibres but not too much. I hope they stay true to this to balance damage via weapon class, calibre and barrel length we had in BF4. I think it worked great, offered room for individual weapon stats founded on a common base.

Then Hardline came along and balance was approached with a "per weapon" attitude, which resulted in a lot of difficulties to say the least. Whereas BF4 had some issues in the beginning with PDWs mainly, the rest was fine and now we have something that is as good as it gets. I think we can say that. Hardline however had obsolete weapons throughout it's history, frequently changing through indivdual balance approaches and even some utterly useless weapons. I hope BF1 does not relate to Hardline features in any way.

Date of registration
: Feb 25th 2012

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 19

Monday, May 9th 2016, 3:23pm

bf1 will DEFINITELY not relate to hardline, this simply because visceral has almost nothing to do with dice SE or LA, in fact, i believe core design is done by dice SE and probably more minute and "fragile" things will be done by dice LA(the guys who implemented the math based balance that goes around spread increase and decrease) or at least i want to hope so, because if they do it like this, then the game balance won't be a problem.

personally i would like to see bolt action rifles as all-kit, with assault using ahotguns and anti-tank rifles,medic smgs and support lmgs, and obviously scouts with dmrs and scopes(scopes not allowed on other classes, only ironsight changes, which are somewhat confirmed by some guys who went to the press event, although still not 100% sure)
that for me would be the best, all-kit weapons reflect the standard issue of militaries anyway,, this is evident with bf4 where carbines and dmrs are all-kit.
"I'm just a loot whore."

stuff mostly unrelated to BF4 that interests nobody

bf4
on 13/05/2016
23rd M320FB user on pc(13/05/16)
rush mode score RANK:2794 TOP:2% OUT OF:215398
obliteration mode scoreRANK:994 TOP:1% OUT OF:159466
handgun medals RANK:2236 TOP:2% OUT OF:143874
longest headshot RANK:9512 TOP:4% OUT OF:257589
recon score RANK:10871 TOP:4% OUT OF:274899
general score per minute RANK:10016 TOP:4% OUT OF:294774

bf3
31/3/2012 4:58:

Headshot distance RANK:493* TOP:0%
Revives per assault minute RANK: 6019 TOP: 3%
Headshots / kill percentage RANK:25947 TOP:13%
MVP ribbons RANK:18824 TOP:11%

*= 6 if we not count the EOD BOT headshots

@kataklism

ARGUMENT DESTROYED 100

ENEMY KILLED [REASON] JSLICE20 100

WRITING SPREE STOPPED 500

link to full-size old avatar:
http://i.imgur.com/4X0321O.gif

VincentNZ

Holy War? No Thanks.

(2,282)

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Monday, May 9th 2016, 4:20pm

I just hope so, I do not even like "buying" weapons instead of unlocking them, I am really conservative.

As for the rest, I have fears that the Devs might not think of Hardline as the failure that I think it was, regardless if DICE had anything to do with that game. I even hope they do not include anything from Battlefront either like no deidcated servers (which is highly unlikely) or other stuff like the vehicle controls for airplanes and such.

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Monday, May 9th 2016, 4:38pm

this is really early to be confirmed, but i really hope it is true:
HaydnOSmith comments on [BF1] I attended the World Premiere of BF1 in London on Friday night and saw the exclusive footage that only a select few have seen.

tl;dr semi-auto probably work like they did in bf3 damage-wise.
"I'm just a loot whore."

bf4
on 13/05/2016

bf3

@kataklism

ARGUMENT DESTROYED 100

Date of registration
: Jun 24th 2012

Platform: Xbox One

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 14

Monday, May 9th 2016, 8:22pm

The World Champion suspects that these supposed semi-autos are nothing more than bolt actions being worked at a faster rate. It's not like a youtuber or any other knucklehead there knows anything about firearms anyway.
You have just read a Post by The World Champion and now feel smarter for doing so.
-------
Cham·pi·on
noun \ˈcham-pē-ən\

1 : Warrior, Fighter
2 : a militant advocate or defender <a champion of civil rights>
3 : one that does battle for another's rights or honor <God will raise me up a champion — Sir Walter Scott>
4 : a winner of first prize or first place in competition; also : one who shows marked superiority <The champion of the World>

Date of registration

Battlelog:

Monday, May 9th 2016, 11:02pm

The World Champion suspects that these supposed semi-autos are nothing more than bolt actions being worked at a faster rate. It's not like a youtuber or any other knucklehead there knows anything about firearms anyway.

well he ain't a youtuber(afaek) and the video was hud-less, also who knows, maybe the enemies were damaged.

in any case if dmrs are a stand-alone class i'd like for them to be like in bf3 or similar.
"I'm just a loot whore."

bf4
on 13/05/2016

bf3

@kataklism

ARGUMENT DESTROYED 100

Date of registration
: Mar 16th 2016

Platform: PS4

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 1

Tuesday, May 10th 2016, 6:51am

@CobaltRose
My area of expertise is more American Civil War up to about 1900, so I'm certainly aware the concept of shortened rifles for close combat had been around. I was referring more the ROF as any carbine of that period is going to be semi-automatic at best against full-auto machineguns with large belts of ammunition.

@Xuvial
You're partially correct that most MGs were mounted. At the outset of the war most countries had guns like the Maxim, primarily intended for use on tripod from a defensive position. As the war progressed the philosophy of "walking fire" came about as a way to suppress enemies entrenched in a defensive position while the squad advanced. This saw development of MANY portable machineguns, both new designs and modified variants of existing versions. You have guns like the Lewis and Browning M1918 (aka the BAR which is commonly seen in WW2 games). In a world of bolt-actions, a magazine-fed machinegun would have been like an assault rifle and the ROF alone could have been used to win more gunfights than not. I didn't say they couldn't balance it, I said I'm wondering how they're going to. Either way, loading up a support class with both automatic weapons and something like a flamethrower sounds like a lot of butthurt people screaming OP just waiting to happen haha.
"We had defeated one disease after the next. Modern medicine had given us health and hope. A man's existence was no longer confined solely to his work, not that of women to childbearing. Science promised to deliver us heaven on earth, and we were happy to believe that. We had begun to live and our children were going to have it even better, this is something we were sure of.
............until the summer of 1914."
Are you ready for the trenches?

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Enzo_Guy" (May 10th 2016, 6:59am)

Date of registration
: May 23rd 2016

Battlelog:

Reputation modifier: 1

Thursday, June 9th 2016, 9:56pm

If they make MG's heavy, no running, slow to move, longer to set up, longer to reload, no hip fire, and ammunition eaters then they'' be more WW1 realistic. They could mow guys down by the dozens and were a huge part in causing trench warfare, in my opinion. If BF1 has MG's I hope they follow the above conditions and require an ammo box to reload not carried by the guy carrying the MG. MG's were a team weapon not an individual weapon. Promote squad play by making MG's a squad type weapon.